Author Topic: Mold on rocks?  (Read 295 times)

Offline BillyB0y91

• Wriggler
Mold on rocks?
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
Ok, I have brown algae on my rocks (it's only been growing for maybe 3 weeks) there is a few tiny spots of a greenish blue substance growing on the rocks. It looks very much like mold that you get on bread, tiny little specs. I've never seen green algae growing on rocks so don't know what the process is. Does it start like this? In little specs that are maybe a few Millimeters in size? Or does the brown algae just gradually turn green?

I just  wanna be certain so I can sort it if it is anything harmful.

Offline zelaya322

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 135
Re: Mold on rocks?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
Brown algae will turn green under the right conditions so it's probably nothing to be alarmed about. Although a picture would help us confirm.
5  Zebra Maioni Reef
4  M. Hajomaylandi Chizumulu
3  Elongatus Chailosi Chitande
5  P. sp. Polit
http://www.youtube.com/user/zelaya322?feature=mhee

Offline BillyB0y91

• Wriggler
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
I don't have a decent camera m8.
It doesn't seem to be the brown algae turning green.
There are a few specs on a rock at the back of my tank that has hardly any algae on it at all and it has the most green specs.

Offline Yanks15

• Tank Mate
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »
Hey zelaya, what might the "right conditions" be to grow green algae? I can't seem to get those!!! Brown for a year without a sign of green :no:
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline zelaya322

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
Hey zelaya, what might the "right conditions" be to grow green algae? I can't seem to get those!!! Brown for a year without a sign of green :no:

I've got more the reddish/burgundy algae myslef lol!!! I wish I knew!
5  Zebra Maioni Reef
5  P. sp. Polit

Offline Yanks15

• Tank Mate
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
How long do you keep your lights on? I leave mine for 12-14hrs. I don't use any salts but if I remember right, you use Malawi salts so not sure if that has any effect either. I sure do wish some would grow green :13
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline zelaya322

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »
How long do you keep your lights on? I leave mine for 12-14hrs. I don't use any salts but if I remember right, you use Malawi salts so not sure if that has any effect either. I sure do wish some would grow green :13

14 Hours a day. I use Malawi Salts and buffers from Seachem. I think when you have lots of large grazing fish they actually eat the green stuff faster than it can grow. I had green algae until I added a large group of wilds and then within days it vanished.

As far as the spot of green here and there, I still wouldn't worry too much. But monitor it and if it turns different colors, or gets hairy or weird then you might want to investigate further.
5  Zebra Maioni Reef
5  P. sp. Polit

Offline smp87

• Fry
  • Tank Gallons: 125
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:17:33 AM »
In my new 55g I have both brown and a beautiful bright green but only in that tank do I have bright green .... Is it the color of light? I had a 4100k and 5000k lamps but that green Algea  is beautiful would like to kno what I did right/wrong that tank also has a live plant and 2 miss balls is that a factor?
Lover of Tropheus

Offline Graham

• Sub Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »
Greenish-blue could of course be a "blue-green algae" i.e. not a true green algae which is a plant but rather a cyanobacteria.  If so, as it grows it will come to look more like a slimy sheet of material draped over the rocks rather than a green or reddish-brown carpet rooted on the rocks.  Just another alternative to bare rock, the brown slime of di-atoms or the reddish/brownish/green of a green algae that you variously get in a tank depending on light conditions, nitrate levels, carbon dioxide levels, phosphate levels and so on which dictate which will out-complete the others.  You tend to get what seems like a sequence of one to the next in a new tank due to general changes in these parameters as a tank matures.

I don't think it is anything to worry about.  I often get blue-greens growing in my tanks, especially covering shell beds, and they have never caused any problems with the fish.  After all, spirulina is a blue-green and apparently a lot of species that appear to graze on green algae (which is actually relatively difficult to digest) are in reality feeding on the much easier to digest blue-greens that coat the strands of the green algae the later passing through the gut relatively undigested (just read this is Ad Konings' new tropheus book).

Offline smp87

• Fry
  • Tank Gallons: 125
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:00 AM »
here is mine I like this color better
Lover of Tropheus