African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: My Python No Spill Quick Fill Review  (Read 8116 times)

Offline epiccichlid20

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Re: My Python No Spill Quick Fill Review
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 03:15:58 AM »
How do you rate it for price,I just use a hose pipe to empty and fill cost about a fiver .

I paid $40 for the 25' Python. Considering how well it works and how easy it is to use I think it's well worth the investment.
yeah its real easy to use. also a garden hose can work well. anything that can get from the sink to the tank is a plus for me.

Offline Dean jones

• Retired Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 350
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »

Best 50 I've spent ;-)
My fish love there water changes...

Offline outkast2040

• Wriggler
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 04:35:20 AM »
Hello,

By any chance would you know if the Python No Spill would be affected by low water pressure? The reason I ask is because I bought an Aqueon water changer and it did not work at all. I was thinking it was either I had low water pressure or just the product itself was bad.

Offline Chippy

• Fry
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 06:55:42 AM »
Have to agree no more buckets no more nagging Mrs about wet floors result.
African Cichlids and Tropheus are my passion

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »
I'm going to make this a straight to the point review. This is base on the 25' version.

PROS:

1. Ease of use.
2. No more buckets.
3. Faster Water changes/ less physical exertion
4. Cleans waste while removing water

CONS:

1.Less water pressure than expected

That's it lol. I give it a 9/10. I changed about 40% of my 135 gallon today in roughly 30 mins. I was going to buy an Eheim Quick Vac Pro but now I'm not sure I'll need it really. Hope this review helps.

Agree...Makes changes a breeze, but the pressure during tank water removal is low.  To keep the temperature accurate I just run it in the removal mode with a thermometer under the outflow.....

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
I did a water change today and my python didn't produce enough pressure to remove tank water. I had to resort to the old hose and bucket. What a pain in the butt. At least it works for the refill, but that's only half of it's function.

Quite odd, because it worked for the last change, even if it was slow.

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
The only time that I've had any good results using the Python to remove waste is by having the tap on full balst to create the most suction. Problem is.... a ton of water is wasted down the drain :nod: I've only used mine for refilling the tanks and clean with a bucket :13 I do have an Aqueon kit with a broken tap fitting that I use to drain the tank to the yard or bathroom (winter time) so at least all the water doesn't have to be drained by bucket :02
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
I did a water change today and my python didn't produce enough pressure to remove tank water. I had to resort to the old hose and bucket. What a pain in the butt. At least it works for the refill, but that's only half of it's function.

Quite odd, because it worked for the last change, even if it was slow.
ime it depends how your set up is. if youre using a sink, and the water exits your tank goes to floor level then has to jump back up to drain thats the problem. i use a spigot thats outside i run the hose out a window. its lower than the tank and doesnt have to jump up to drain once the siphon starts it doesnt stop until i stop it. also if you take the plastic pipe off of the suction end and just use the tubing the suction is much stronger.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:25:42 AM by Bandicoot »

Offline King Kyoga

• Tank Mate
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »
I have a python, but I dnt use it because like Yanks said you waste alot of water....I used a garden hose I have cut & siphon the water out that way.

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »
I worked out a fix !!   I have an AZOO 600 powerhead moving water in the tank. The Python tubing fits over the outflow nicely. I just attach the tube to the powerhead, and it pumps the water to my kitchen sink.    :thumbup   
I'll siphon the first 5 gallons from the gravel, and the rest via the pump.

In the words of the immortal Ed Norton    "zip zip, it is done"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:02:35 PM by JohnsPeacocks »

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 540
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
I have a siphon tube from my sump out back door to yard and a 12foot rubber tubing from kitchen sink yhat I adjust to near temperature to refill.. I let drain out about 40 gallons and then let continue to drain as I refill for about 20 minutes and add prime 3 times during refilling..
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 03:33:14 AM »
I worked out a fix !!   I have an AZOO 600 powerhead moving water in the tank. The Python tubing fits over the outflow nicely. I just attach the tube to the powerhead, and it pumps the water to my kitchen sink.    :thumbup   

if you want to simplify it even further john, switch to sand. imo it looks better and cichlids prefer it to gravel. if you have good current you shouldnt have waste sitting on the substrate. your filtration will take it out of the water column.  i dont have to touch my substrate when doing maintenance. gravel catches a lot of waste that can decay and decrease your water quality over time. i honestly have never looked back since switching to sand several years ago.

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 04:04:09 AM »

if you want to simplify it even further john, switch to sand. imo it looks better and cichlids prefer it to gravel. if you have good current you shouldnt have waste sitting on the substrate. your filtration will take it out of the water column.  i dont have to touch my substrate when doing maintenance. gravel catches a lot of waste that can decay and decrease your water quality over time. i honestly have never looked back since switching to sand several years ago.

If there's a way I can do it without breaking down the entire tank and removing all of the water I'll do it. I guess I can temporarily keep the fish in a 5G bucket for a few hours.
Is that possible, like a 50% water change ?  How much sand for a 75G ?   Maybe get a Universal crevice background while I'm at it. Are they available in the States ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:18:21 AM by JohnsPeacocks »

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 05:03:54 AM »
It's possible to keep the fish in. Just harder. It wouldn't take a few hrs. If you rinse the sand before hand. Shop vac the gravel out. And you're in business. An 1" think when leveled is what I would shoot for. If you put them in buckets with an air stone they'd prob be fine. While you do the change over.

Offline Monster Boy

• Egg
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »
Just thought I'd pop he question in here - albeit this an old post, perhaps someone with a python can review. I really like the idea of one of these but I'm wondering how you address the issue of chlorine in the water when using the refill function? It was mentioned in earlier in this thread but I don't think it was actually resolved?

Has anyone got one of these, If so how do you address this issue?

Cheers

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 01:53:53 PM »
I just add my water conditioner to the main tank while filling. Never had an issue.