Author Topic: Seachem - Cichlid Lake Salt - Product review  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Justin85

• Administrator
  • Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 225
Seachem - Cichlid Lake Salt - Product review
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
Cichlid Lake Salt
Product Description:
Cichlid Lake Salt™ is a chemically sound blend of salts designed to replicate the natural environment of Cichlids. It contains all physiologically essential elements such as magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium, and includes trace components such as iron, aluminum, and iodide.It does not contain harmful or unnecessary ingredients such as nitrates, phosphates, arsenic, lithium, or cadmium. Use Seachem’s Cichlid Trace™ to restore and maintain important trace elements between water changes.

Sizes: 250 g, 500 g, 1.4 kg, 4 kg, 20 kg, 100 kg

Why It's Different:
Although the major Rift Lakes contain basically the same mineral salts, they do so in greatly differing concentrations. Cichlid Lake Salt™ is formulated so that dosages vary depending on the lake of origin and need only be added when setting up an aquarium or with water changes. Many competing products are little more than combinations of Epsom salt and bicarbonate of soda. This will not provide a complete replication of the mineral salts that are contained in the lakes of Africa, in particular calcium and potassium.         

Directions:
All doses given for 40 L (10 gallons*). TANGANYIKA: Use 11 g (1.5 teaspoons). MALAWI: Use 5.5 g (3/4 teaspoons). VICTORIA: Use 3.6 g (1/2 teaspoon). pH BUFFERING: Seachem’s Malawi/Victoria Buffer™ (pH 7.8–8.4) should be used to adjust carbonate hardness and pH. TIPS: Use when setting up an aquarium and when making water changes. To add salt to an established tank, base dose on water being changed. Do not use salt when simply replacing evaporated water. It is best to dissolve the salt in freshwater before use.         

Guaranteed Analysis:
Calcium (min)
3.24 %
Calcium (max)
3.50 %
Magnesium (min)
11.83 %
Potassium (min)
10.08 %
Sodium (min)
3.53 %
Sodium (max)
3.75 %
Aluminum (min)
0.90 mg
Iodine (min)
0.02 mg
Iron (min)
0.20 mg

Amounts per 1 gram. Ingredients: magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium sulfate, sodium chloride, aluminum sulfate, iron sulfate, potassium iodide,

Review:
My first impression of this product is that it came nicely packaged with clear instructions on how to prepare it however it doesn't come with a measuring spoon, Like I stated in my other review I like that the labelling is laminated and not just paper so the instructions won't wear off if the container gets wet. It comes in various sizes250 g, 500 g, 1.4 kg, 4 kg, 20 kg, 100 kg so there is a size to suit anyone’s needs. Like the Malawi/Victoria Buffer It is a very fine white powder which dissolves easily in water, there is some larger clumps of the salt that take a little longer to dissolve but I dont find this a problem. I will say the fish look more active than normal and maybe even more vibrant too, Its hard to review a product like this on perfurmence so I just focused on the fact.
If adding this to an already established tank, just remember to add slowly over a week or so to prevent shocking your fish, once you get the desired level all you need to do is add back what you take out at water change.
I would rate this product 9/10
It loses a mark due to there is no measuring spoon provided.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:56:37 PM by Justin85 »

Offline Nathan Miller

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 75
Re: Seachem - Cichlid Lake Salt - Product review
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
Good review, I like this product as well. I wish they had a measureing spoon but I have a teaspoon set just for fish needs.

Offline Justin85

• Administrator
  • Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 225
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
Good review, I like this product as well. I wish they had a measureing spoon but I have a teaspoon set just for fish needs.
Thanks mate,  my wife got me a spoon set cus she didn't want me to use her's lol Just think for the money you spend on the product would be nice to come with a pre measured spoon.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:03:06 PM by Justin85 »

Offline Nathan Miller

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »
Yeah that would be nice, specially since its not a super cheap products.

Offline MrDiscus

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
  I've no doubt the product does what it says on the tin but I wonder just how necessary such products are.  I've managed to breed regularly every Malawi I've ever kept apart from the ones I bought yesterday.  My tapwater as it comes out is totally unsuitable for Malawis.  General hardness is 70 ppm and pH 7.2 which drops to 6.5 a few hours later.  Ideal for breeding discus.  In fact I bought an RO machine for this and discovered it wasn't necessary.  Come Malawi time and I've found at least 1kg of coral sand or gravel/per 10 imp gallons and they breed fine.  I now add kalkwasser occasionally but only because I've got a huge tub of it left over from my days as Marineboy and sodium bicarbonate sometimes because it's in the kitchen but as a generalisation as long as the water is even slightly alkaline they do fine.  I think if I'd got Tangynikans I'd make some effort to keep the pH around 8 or higher though.  That's what I love about Malawis keep it alkaline and hard they do great.  Even discus keep it soft and acid = easy to breed.  Of course neither tolerate nitrites or ammonia.  If you like messing about with test kits, additives and halide lights grow acroporas.     
2x 50gallons
1x20 gallon
1X6gallon
4x 22 gallons
2x12.5 gallons
. williamsi F1, S. fryeri,Metriaclima fainzilberi "chilumba"F2,M.callainos,M. mbenji ob, C.zebroides"jalo reef",A.stuartgranti,P. crabro, red top ndumbi,I. sprengeri, neon spots, S. lucipinnis.

African Cichlid Hub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »

Offline chrisc

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
This product is not a bicarb epsom mix and should not be confused. This product name is probably misgiving and should be more like lake trace elements. I use it too and have seen no change in my fish behavior or colour but I thought I would add it for my wilds.

Instead of bicarb and Epsom I have bought some ecco complete cichlid substrate. I have yet to put it in and only time will tell on my ph , gh and kh.

Offline Graham

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
Quite interesting how well it matches Lake Tanganyika.  But this means that it would be a poor match for Lake Malawi which is low in Magnesium compared to Calcium.

Sort of naughty that Seachem suggest it is just a matter of using more or less of the product to match the appropriate Lake.  But as the ratios of Calcium and Magnesium differ so much between the lakes then different doses of one mixture can't address this.  So perhaps this is only true if using the appropriate buffer as well - to be fair, it does say on the label that it should be used in conjunction with the buffers.

Offline Scythe2525

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
I use a generic sort of brand of Cichlid Lake salt. I've done a water change here and there without the salts and I honestly believe this stuff does help their color and vigor. When I did a change without resalting, within a few days time they appeared more washed out and even slightly less active. The downside in my experience has been the fact that I keep some live plants in there and the salts are having a negative impact on them though they yet live. DEFINITELY worth using if you don't keep plants.