African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Chemipure blue and fluval 306 filter  (Read 318 times)

Offline Arron yeates

• Wriggler
  • Tank Gallons: 53
Chemipure blue and fluval 306 filter
« on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »
Hi all hope your well.

As you may know i have a 200L malawi cichlid setup with a fluval 306 for filteration. Current setup is pretty standard.

Bottom tray - black fluval bio foam with second filter finer foa.

Middle tray - full of bio max rings.

Top tray - 2x carbon bags and 2x polishing pads.

Now ive been watching videos of
"Chemipure Blue" however where would this go and what size do i need if i choose to buy?

Am i correct in thinking i could remove the top trays 2x carbon bags and 2x polishing pads and replace the carbon with chemipure blue for a better effect? Along with new polishing pads on to of them?

Thanks
Arron

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
Re: Chemipure blue and fluval 306 filter
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
Not too many of us use carbon anymore.  For what carbon does, it does not last long.  I have not used carbon in over 20 years.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Arron yeates

• Wriggler
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Not too many of us use carbon anymore.  For what carbon does, it does not last long.  I have not used carbon in over 20 years.

Thats a fair comment. If i were to use it where would i put it if i did buy some

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
I use Chemipure and have used it for some time. I have also used Purigen. I always place it last in the filter, above all of the mechanical and biological filtration. It's the last thing the water goes through on it's way back to the tank. I only use carbon after any use of medications put in the tank.
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Arron yeates

• Wriggler
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:49:42 PM »
I use Chemipure and have used it for some time. I have also used Purigen. I always place it last in the filter, above all of the mechanical and biological filtration. It's the last thing the water goes through on it's way back to the tank. I only use carbon after any use of medications put in the tank.

Hi mate do you find chemi pure blue cleared up your water much and how ofter do you need to change the bags or just swill crap out etc
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:25:50 PM by Arron yeates »

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:05 PM »
I actually do believe it has helped keep my water clearer. Purigen di a fine job to but Chemipure has the added carbon feature that reduces odors so you get the best of both worlds. I change mine out around every 4 months. So every 4th filter cleaning or so. Until then, I just clean it with tank water when I do my monthly filter cleaning. It's worth a go just to see how it works for you :nod:

Offline Arron yeates

• Wriggler
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 07:38:52 AM »
I actually do believe it has helped keep my water clearer. Purigen di a fine job to but Chemipure has the added carbon feature that reduces odors so you get the best of both worlds. I change mine out around every 4 months. So every 4th filter cleaning or so. Until then, I just clean it with tank water when I do my monthly filter cleaning. It's worth a go just to see how it works for you :nod:

No shops by me stock it as far as i can see so not sure which size id need to order. I have a fluval 306 external filter and was planning to add these to the last (top) tray in the filter however i still want to fit a polishing pad ontop of them. Is there any way of finding out what size id need?

Thanks

Offline Arron yeates

• Wriggler
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »

No shops by me stock it as far as i can see so not sure which size id need to order. I have a fluval 306 external filter and was planning to add these to the last (top) tray in the filter however i still want to fit a polishing pad ontop of them. Is there any way of finding out what size id need?

Thanks

Update. Just spoke to swelluk. They have chemicure blue in 5.5oz that treats upto 35 gallons and 11oz that treats up to 75 gallons.. as ive got a 55gallon tank im going to buy 2x 5.5 oz to fit in either side of the top tray as that should filter upto 70 gallons

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
Sounds good :thumbup  Let us know if you think it helped your water clarity :nod:

Offline Arron yeates

• Wriggler
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 07:23:01 AM »
Sounds good :thumbup  Let us know if you think it helped your water clarity :nod:

Will do mate, just treating for what i think may be Ich as one of my blotched peacocks was stressing out others so hes gone now back to the shop now.