African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Cynotilapia  (Read 227 times)

Offline Nick44

• Egg
  • Tank Gallons: 125
Cynotilapia
« on: January 25, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
Just bought a couple of mbuna named Cynotilapia white top Gallireya reef from Tampa Bay cichlids but, was later told they’re not Hara’s. I thought the only  Cynotilapia from there were Hara. Am I right & what could they be?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:37:00 PM by Nick44 »

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
Re: Cynotilapia
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
Hey Nick, to the best of my knowledge, the scientific name is Cynotilapia sp. "hara". Their common name is White Top Hara. They are only collected from Gallireya Reef in the lake. Not sure of any other info pertaining to these fish directly changing their classification or namimg but I don't know what you have. A pic would help. What supplier did you get them from? And who told you they were not the rightly named fish?
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Nick44

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:23 PM »
Thanks for replying, Yanks. I bought them from Tampa Bay cichlids & they’re named Cynotilapia white top afra Gallireya reef. I thought I was getting some Haras since as far as I know are they are the only white tops from that region. When I got them I had doubts that they were Haras. I emailed Dave at Tampa Bay cichlids & he told me they weren’t Haras but, they were from the Gallireya reef. I didn’t want to email him back,yet. They look like they’re white top Likoma to me. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:24:51 PM by Nick44 »

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 12:18:47 AM »
Might be a bit early to tell exactly what they are. They look like juvies. Likoma I believe have yellow dorsal/tail fins so I'm not sure if they are Likoma. I don't know if they exist in a white top variation. I know my Hara didn't have the same stripping. My males had 4 dominant stripes (w/2 on their face) when showing and their bodies are almost pure white (even as juvies). And their heads are shorter in length. BTW....Cyno. White Top Afra is an older term for Cyno. sp. hara so I'm not sure what else he said he sold you that isn't a hara. I'd ask him to clarify exactly what are the fish he sold you. Scientific name and common name so you can research they yourself.

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:30:33 AM »
And Welcome to ACH :06  How about you hop on over to the New Members section and give us some info on you and your setup :thumbup

Offline Nick44

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:00 AM »
I agree it might be early but, I do t think they’re Haras. He told me they were Gallireya reef variant. I think he’s confused or something. I do believe that they have white top Likoma Afras which is what I think I have. I just wish people wouldn’t sell the wrong fish on their website because I specifically wanted a Hara. Still a nice fish but a don’t think I could put him in a tank with a male Jalo Reef like I was planning on doing with the Hara. Thanks for your input!

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:32 AM »
I took a look at their site and the fish they show in the main looks exactly like mine. I did notice some fish in the second pic that appeared to have more stripes and could be females. And as far as selling the wrong fish, I've received fish that weren't even the same species!!! One time I ordered Lab. caeruleus Nkhata Bay and got Petrotilapia Nkhata Orange! :10 Needless to say they (supplier to remain nameless) made things right and I ended up with bonus fish :)  So it does happento all of us but in your case, you may have what you ordered but they don't show well yet. And I kept Hara with Jalo Reef just fine. They did fight for dominance now and then but otherwise never cross bred and stayed away from each other. You can probably still go ahead with your plan with these guys.

Offline Nick44

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:24:03 AM »
Yes, the one behind it is what I have. Not the Hara in the pic. He told me they weren’t Haras but, Gallireya reef variant. I ordered 1 M & 1 F but, I think both are male, not a biggie. So you can see my confusion. Good guy ,very responsive to my emails just confusing me. Lol. I know the female Haras look almost like the males do, so I don’t know.   I just might go ahead & put him in with the Jalo Reef, you never know.

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:53:46 PM »
So is he going to send you the proper fish that you ordered? That's the right thing to do if he sent you the wrong fish.

Offline Nick44

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 11:26:32 PM »
I think that’s the only type of white tops Cynotilapias they have. Whatever, I’ll just keep looking until I find one again(had one that past) plus, I know most LFS, around here  have names wrong most of the time. I also plan on ordering some white labs from him so, I don’t want him to send me some bad ones, Lol. & thanks for welcoming me too!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:18:39 AM by Nick44 »

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
I've had White Labs in the past and you will love the look :nod:  Their scales actually shimmer in the right lighting and they are stunning :thumbup Make sure they are from Nkhata Bay. The other variations are a bit duller and more stripped.  Now that I think about it............I need more again!!!