African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Beginner With Obvious Cichlid Fever  (Read 230 times)

Offline jmark9306

• Egg
Beginner With Obvious Cichlid Fever
« on: December 28, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »
I've got the fever folks! I completed the renovation of my 55 and ready to start stocking it with Mbuna (couldn't get my picture uploaded  :13). Been shopping tanks for my Peacock/Hap tank and going to look at a 180 this weekend (that ought to gitterdun)! I found a breeder close to my area with good reviews, as far as stocking is concerned, any advice would be appreciated. How many at a time? How often? I'm thinking 18-22 for the Mbuna tank, and if I get the 180 I understand that it will be a longer process just to prepare it before stocking. Thanks guys!

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
Re: Beginner With Obvious Cichlid Fever
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
I am sorry, but from an experienced person---There is no cure for the fever.  We can only make you comfortable my recommending bigger aquariums.
I would only put about 18 fishes in the 55. depending on stock.   If you cycled correctly, you can (and should) put all your stock in at once. 

PS-- Welcome
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
I usually stocked 6 to 8 small mbuna at a time. The only deaths I had was when I stocked 2 of a species, one would kill the other. When I added 4 of a species all survived.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 540
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
If the water conditions are optimal, I also would place them all at once, so the environment is new to everyone. The usual pecking order will be established soon enough. Males and similar looking fish will start the dominance process almost immediately. Proper choices of occupants and m/f ratios will help that be less volatile. Many hiding places and separate areas are a must IME..
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..