African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Types of rock to avoid?  (Read 104 times)

Offline Withomps44

• Egg
Types of rock to avoid?
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
I am trying to avoid sandstone.  Limestone is very prevalent in my area and I really liked the looks of these rocks - https://store.suburbanlg.com/products/rainbow-creek-flats-6--10--5790.html at my local lawn and garden place.  I am going to pick out white or as white as possible flats and build up some structures that are as stable as possible but provide tunnels and hiding spots. 

2 questions.

Are there any tests I should run (vinegar? what should I look for)

Are there any rocks types, shapes, etc... one should avoid here?  Tank will be 72 x 24 x 24. I'm hoping to plot out about 3 structures at various depths (front to back) and still allow for room for the fish (Mbuna) to show off when I want to enjoy the view.

Thanks all!!

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
Re: Types of rock to avoid?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Welcome to ACH :thumbup  You're on the right path. Limestone is great for African cichlids. No testing needed ;) Just give them a good cleaning. Hot water and a scrub brush should do it. Avoid any pieces with sharp edges as they do chase each other and can injure themselves on them. Look for rounded "boulder" rock that you can build on. You don't necessary have to create caves as the rock will create that by itself. Just be sure that the rock is resting directly on the bottom glass (use pond liner or similar under rock if concerned) and is stable as you build. I set them directly on the glass. Don't worry........it's tough stuff! Then fill you substrate around the formation. The 3 plot layout is great for a tank your size. It will give several areas for different species to call their own. And look great :nod: Best of luck with it!
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
No need to "vinegar test" limestone.  It will dissolve a little during the test--which is good.   It will keep you water hard and stable--again good.

Getting them to be as "light color" as possible is good, but maybe not every piece being white.  A few not as white will make the tank interesting.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Withomps44

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:22 AM »
Thank you! The info is very much appreciated. :)