African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: New tank water change system  (Read 306 times)

Offline chris118

• Egg
New tank water change system
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:40:42 AM »
Hi, I will be installing a 5ft tank in the next few months, The room that it is going in is an integral garage that is being converted into a room, so I basically have a blank canvas. I am thinking of drilling the tank and installing drainage pipework to do my water changes more easily, something along the lines of, drilling it at the base and having a couple of ball valves and a pvc pipework u bend coming up the back to about the 50% mark, either that or just drill the tank at the 50% mark, then the pipework going out through an external wall to a tap which id then connect a hose to to take it to a drain. Has anyone done anything similar or does anyone see any potential issues with this. Thanks.

Offline Flippin Fins Aquatics

• Tank Mate
Re: New tank water change system
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
Hi, I will be installing a 5ft tank in the next few months, The room that it is going in is an integral garage that is being converted into a room, so I basically have a blank canvas. I am thinking of drilling the tank and installing drainage pipework to do my water changes more easily, something along the lines of, drilling it at the base and having a couple of ball valves and a pvc pipework u bend coming up the back to about the 50% mark, either that or just drill the tank at the 50% mark, then the pipework going out through an external wall to a tap which id then connect a hose to to take it to a drain. Has anyone done anything similar or does anyone see any potential issues with this. Thanks.
Hello, I wanted to install a drainage pipe when I moved to my current house and we had all the floors up. Never did it though. Apparently kitchen, bathroom, hallway, bedrooms and front room were more important. Anyways, I wouldn't have had a drain valve set up on the tank, just a drain off pipe to put the syphon hose into. The issue that would worry me is the chance of 50%of you water disappearing into your room if the ball valves fail. It's not unheard of and is the reason that full syphon sumps have 2 pipes. I've had a tank go before and the destruction it causes is beyond belief. I've got a 5X2x18" sumped tank with a partial syhon.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:40:22 PM by Flippin Fins Aquatics »
The environment for the fish looking out of the glass is far more important than the pleasure of the monkeys looking in.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
Re: New tank water change system
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
I have a room designated for my 1210 gallon diy plywood aquarium system. I have a drain going through back window, with a valve that is on constant syphon.. It is on and off with the turn of a valve. I also have the refilling line coming through wall with a designated valve. I can temperature regulate the refill water that way. It also goes through a water filter to remove chlorine before reaching tank. I have a video of this on my youtube channel.
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..