African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Can't get my nitrates down  (Read 883 times)

Offline Gardengirl1

• Egg
Can't get my nitrates down
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:59:19 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 75 gallon tank with a Fluval  406. We recently moved the tank and temporarily put the fish in a 5 gal tank. Drained most of the water in the big tank, but kept all the water in the filter.
Put the fish back in the tank after filling with water and running the filter for a couple days. Then changed out all the filter medium except the ceramics. Checked my water the next day and nitrates were really high. Did another water change and tested again and my nitrates were still 40ppm.
Swapped out 1 carbon packet for a purigen packet. Tested it again and my nitrates are still 40 ppm.
I have a 6" Albino
2 clown loaches about 3"
2 peacocks about 3"
2 peacocks about 2"

Do I do another water change? I know the nitrates are too high but I don't want to stress them by changing too much of the beneficial bacteria. Seeing as I'm just now really getting serious about my fish, I would really appreciate any advice.

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
Re: Can't get my nitrates down
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 03:04:55 AM »
I could be from cleaning the filter to much on top of many other things like trapped food and waste etc. I would feed light and do a few 35-50% water changes. How big of waterchanges have you been doing? Do you have any nitrates in your water source? Sorry for the late reply
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
40 ppm is not a big deal. If your using the API test kit, I don't trust them. The Sea Chem kit reads about half. I quit testing my water about 4 years ago, I change 20 to 25 percent of my water about every 4 days.

Offline jcarson702

• Wriggler
  • Tank Gallons: 55G
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:56:10 AM »
High nitrates are expected when moving a tank, I would expect even a slight ammonia spike as well depending how long the filter was down.
Stick to your water changes 30%-40% until you get it how you want. Remember your bacteria colonies do not reside in your water.
They reside mostly in your substrate and filter, even on glass and tubing but definitely not in your water.
And as gdjewett has stated 40ppm isn't that bad.
I dont know about purigen but carbon will have no affect on your nitrate reading.

Please keep us updated.

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »
Also your filter might not be adequate enough may look at looking at another canister as well

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »
Iíve got a ehiem 2273 , 2217 and a 2213 on 5x 1.5x1.5 def overkill but after a experiment I left it for 3 weeks with a colony of lawsii and the nitrates were not above 20 ppm so Iím my opinion if you can get another filter that equals more BB