African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Questions about my 55g.  (Read 255 times)

Offline hufan1112

• Egg
Questions about my 55g.
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:07:54 AM »
i have quiet a bit of granite in my tank. and im starting to wonder about how safe it is from breaking the bottom glass? its sitting on a reinforced stand with supports and a top brace but still. theres a lot of granite in there.. looking for feed back. also i ordered 4 525gph wavemakers and i was wondering if one would be enough or if i should use 2 of the 4. got them for 2 bucks so i couldnt pass it up. just look to break up surface water and add a little movement to the tank. got black sand on bottom and a eheim pro4 250 canister filter. eheim 300w heater and a 4ft 10k dual fluorescent. and a hob. forgot the size of the hob. itts one of the biggest one marineland makes. looking for feedback and comments on my tank. thanks ahead...  :rockon: :rockon:

Offline hufan1112

• Egg
Re: Questions about my 55g.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
10 views and no replies? lol guess no one wants to help a guy out

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
lots of looky lews lol the site gets lots of visitors they cant comment. You can fill your tank to the top with rock and the glass will be fine I have more rock than you and I don't have any problems just make sure that your biggest rocks are situated so that they are on the bottom not sitting on top the sand. African cichlids like to dig so if your rocks aren't anchored they could collapse killing some fish or worse breaking glass. Take special care during water changes removing and placing the rock use both hands one slip and a heavy rock could scratch your glass or break it. If you are worried about it you could get some of that Plastic Egg Crate Lighting Diffuser Sheets to go on the bottom under the rocks and sand but its not necessary and most likely your fish will dig and uncover it.  I don't have any experience with your equipment so cant comment on it. your tank looks nice I good start with the painted background. I personally like a natural look your rockscape looks man made lots of tunnels for the fish to play in and what not but you can do that in a more natural way if you choose see my profile pic I try to make it look like the bottom of a lake as natural looking as I can I try to emulate a natural rock outcropping and place the sand around it in drifts. Of course this is just a preference if you like making bridges and colums with your rockwork and like how it looks that's great its your tank most of us start doing this I did but then I saw how amazing some peoples tanks were and I was hooked on the natural look check out the  Rock scaping section http://africancichlidhub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2065.0  lots of examples of different rock scapes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:20:31 PM by cscott1 »
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline hufan1112

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »
Yea man I like the look of urs. Iím gonna be removing all granite today or tokow to remove a very agresive Cichlid an put him in my 20 gal. Iím going to replace the granite with more of a crooked look. No so much stacked but making one side lay on sand and the other side perched up on a piece of granite so it looks more natural. Got a 30 gal breeder Iím putting my two labs in to get them started. I personally only like to paint backs. I never liked the film backings. They either fall off or look like garbage. And believe it or not I went to the local granite shop and they were more than happy to give me a 2x4 slab and a 4x4 that had the wrong homes drilled so it had to be scrapped. All the granite was free. I got my tank at about 79. My 55g and my Breeder tank. You think thatís too high for the 55? I know I need a higher temp in the breeder tank to promote the breeding process.

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
I keep my Fry tanks at 79 degrees My 75 gallon is set at 76 a lil cooler to try to curb aggression a bit but I don't know if it works right in that range is good.
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Your 2 filters should supply all the water motion needed. Only comment on the rocks is that they are stable if the fish dig the sand out, which they love to do. Looks good

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
10 views and no replies? lol guess no one wants to help a guy out

Patients,  a lot of "Newbies" could be looking at your post, but do not have a comment yet. 
Your granite is laid semi flat on the bottom, this will disperse the weight.  Is it on top of the sand, or did you put in sand after?  If it is on top, that may not be good because Mbunas love to dig and may cause that to collapse.

Also for my taste, you granite looks too uniformed, like they were placed there.   Not a natural look.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline jcarson702

• Wriggler
  • Tank Gallons: 55G
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
I had the same questions about my 55g tank and this is the video that set my mind at ease
copy the url and watch it in a full screen till the end, wait for it.....

https://youtu.be/PgEwEiTyYcs

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »
The granite rocks are flat so you will be fine especially since you have a reinforced stand. On your size tank 1 wavemaker would be enough. Use your eheim canister return to move the surface a bit and and the wave maker toward the bottom. Make it create a circular motion around the tank.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:17:21 AM by Mike718 »
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!