African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Eheim Jager - any good?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Richard M

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 150
Eheim Jager - any good?
« on: July 18, 2018, 04:06:20 AM »
One of my heaters has blown up - looking to replace both with a pair of 300W Eheim Jagers.

I've been hearing contradictory stories about the reliability of these units, in particular that their quality control has gone down the tubes of late.

Can anyone advise their experiences good/bad/indifferent with recently purchased Eheim Jager heaters?
Richard M

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
Re: Eheim Jager - any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 06:18:39 AM »
Their quality has gone down since they was bought out many years ago.   I still have and use them though.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »
Iíve had several eheim jager heaters and never had a problem. They are the best glass heaters imo. You can look into titanium heaters also.  Eheim are stronger then your typical heaters watt for watt so I would suggest 2x 200 or 250ís or 1 300w. I had a 5í 120 gallon tank with 1 250w heater and it was perfect. Very stable and no heat dead spots as long as you have good circulation around the tank
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:53:43 PM by Mike718 »
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline Richard M

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 12:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going for the Jaegers; I spoke with my supplier on the mainland (none of the shops here carry them in 300W) and fortuitously spoke to the person who handles all their warranty claims; we had a discussion about various makes and reliability and to my surprise, she reckoned that one of their cheaper lines, the Aqua Zonic Eco had the lowest rate of warranty claims of all their heaters during her time working there. Unfortunately, these were out of stock and as I'm limping on one heater AND I'm heading away on holiday soon, I didn't want to risk waiting, hence the Jaegers.

I had an older Jaeger that came second hand with a tank I bought - the new ones although similar look to be much better made, with a very fine heating coil which looks almost embedded into the glass.

Hopefully they'll be OK - they're claimed to be suitable for 600-1000L, depends on ambient/room temp I guess; I'll be away at the coolest time of year, so the house temps will probably dip down to around 10-12 degrees C; I'll run the thermostats at 22 degrees C to keep their appetites and ammonia excretion down, so hopefully the heaters will cope ok.
Richard M

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 01:01:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up going for the Jaegers; I spoke with my supplier on the mainland (none of the shops here carry them in 300W) and fortuitously spoke to the person who handles all their warranty claims; we had a discussion about various makes and reliability and to my surprise, she reckoned that one of their cheaper lines, the Aqua Zonic Eco had the lowest rate of warranty claims of all their heaters during her time working there. Unfortunately, these were out of stock and as I'm limping on one heater AND I'm heading away on holiday soon, I didn't want to risk waiting, hence the Jaegers.

I had an older Jaeger that came second hand with a tank I bought - the new ones although similar look to be much better made, with a very fine heating coil which looks almost embedded into the glass.

Hopefully they'll be OK - they're claimed to be suitable for 600-1000L, depends on ambient/room temp I guess; I'll be away at the coolest time of year, so the house temps will probably dip down to around 10-12 degrees C; I'll run the thermostats at 22 degrees C to keep their appetites and ammonia excretion down, so hopefully the heaters will cope ok.
  I have an eheim 300w that I bought a few years ago, thinking I would need it at that time. It seemed interesting to calibrate, and I just put it aside. 2-300w Fluval heaters never quit working, so its still sitting there. Now im using 1000w titanium heaters with controllers and imagine it will forever be just sitting there, now.. lol  The fairly inexpensive Fluval heaters have done well for me..
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Richard M

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 01:02:11 AM »
I was interested in the Fluval heaters, had some good reviews - unfortunately, they're not available here in Australia. Could buy internationally but would need new plugs - not keen on non-sealed diy fitted electrical plugs near water.

Richard M

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
  • Tank Gallons: 92
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »
Rather then rewiring the plugs though could you not buy the plug converter? so the item would be an eu socket and the converter would plug into that but can then plug into your wall socket?