African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Maison Reef?  (Read 661 times)

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Maison Reef?
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
So I have a bit of a dilemma. I have the opportunity to get some F2 Metriaclima fainzilberi maison reef fry from a chap I met on a local facebook group for free really. He wants to trade for some of my fry. I was planning on getting rid of all my larger zebras and going towards dwarfs but I don't know if I can pass on this opportunity they are such a beautiful fish. I have read they have a bit of a mean streak especially towards similar barred fish. Im thinking if I decide to go this route of having Yellow labs maingano along with the Maison reef in a 75 gallon. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I have a few months to decide as his Maison reef are just starting to breed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:44:19 PM by cscott1 »
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
Re: Maison Reef?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »
Sounds very tempting, probably you would end up kicking yourself if you don't do it. Have you considered dialeptos rather than mainganos? I got both and the male is similar to maingano and the female similar to auratus minus the attitude
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »
Sounds very tempting, probably you would end up kicking yourself if you don't do it. Have you considered dialeptos rather than mainganos? I got both and the male is similar to maingano and the female similar to auratus minus the attitude

Well I already have the Mainganos and the yellow labs I would just have to do some shuffling around moving fish around my tanks. The only drawback is I would have to rehome my Metriaclima greshekei or buy another tank. Given my greshakei are of unknown background and came out of a mixed walmart tank and the females aren't very attractive where as the Maison reef females are much better looking not as nice as the males but they aren't a dirty brown either It wouldn't disappoint me too much to let them go. Plus I am wanting to move away from impulse buys at pet stores and buy pure bred fish getting them for free is a bonus.
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
Sounds like a good plan then
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »
Wow, nice pick-up  IMO, the Metriaclima fainzilberi maison reef is one of the most beautiful and meanest of the Metriaclima species.  They did not get along with any of the other fishes.  I eventually traded them in and got W/T Haras (look similar but MUCH more peaceful). 
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Faggers

• Global Moderator
  • Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 160
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:15 AM »
I've had my wild caught Maison Reef for 6+ years and never really had too much problem with aggression. Just make sure the dominant male is much bigger than the rest of the fish. He will chase now and again, but as long as he has no serious rivals to tank domination he will be calm. Mine also keeps a corner of the tank to himself. I've other Metriaclima species but no similar barred fish.
Real name Andy