African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Aggression out of control....  (Read 897 times)

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
Aggression out of control....
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:15:53 AM »
I now have 8 mature Peacocks in my 75G and the aggression is crazy.  One tank boss that has the rest cowering in corners almost all day long. Then, the number two will start in on the others. I lowered the tank temp to 75 to see if that helps, but it's the same. Rock work hiding places has not worked.  None have been killed as of yet but there are plenty of torn fins. Do I add another 5-6 fish to overstock, or just live with this.......can't believe I'm saying this but I'm tempted to dump these fish and start with something else.....

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
Re: Aggression out of control....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:22:01 AM »
I doubt that adding extra fish will stop the tank boss from being and a**hole, he will just have more targets. I have been lucky in never having any real issues with an overly aggressive fish (except for an OB peacock that got moved on). Always had my C borleyi as a tank boss. Bigger than the rest, but not aggressive.
Do you have a spare tank that you can move #1 and 2 into for a while? Give the rest of the fish a chance to recover. Then try and put them back in after a few weeks/month and see how it goes. May go back to the way it was and you may have to move those two on. Iíve had to move plenty on over time until I got a tank that is balanced.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:41:35 AM »
I've moved a good number of fish as well, but each time another fish takes control....I've also isolated aggressive fish in a fry net, but once released they start in again. I do have a 10G that I can use with a separator to keep the two trouble makers apart. I might try that, or switch to guppies  :D

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:00:42 AM »
I might just be lucky, but I also have 11 males (and 5 female/juvie borleyi) in a 180 gallon. Plenty of room for all so they are not fighting for space. I do want to add 3-4 extra males but am a little worried about upsetting the balance.
You could fit a lot of guppies in a 75 [emoji6]
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »
I have had that issue only once when I was keeping all males. I put the over agressive in a timeout for a few days and it happened to work out for me. Seems you have done all you can and last case scenario is to just move the fish on. Sucks when that happens but sometimes things just donít workout. Consider yourself lucky this is only the first time your dealing with this.
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
I have had that issue only once when I was keeping all males. I put the over agressive in a timeout for a few days and it happened to work out for me. Seems you have done all you can and last case scenario is to just move the fish on. Sucks when that happens but sometimes things just donít workout. Consider yourself lucky this is only the first time your dealing with this.

Thanks Mike
I have already moved 3 or 4 fish because of aggression. This is my prize otter point, the fish in my avatar, so it will kill me to move him on. I'll try isolating him first.

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
It's never fun moving fish on but it's always for the benefit of the tank. Especially when it is one of your top fish. How about a setup for him with some females? Breed a bit :02
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »
I now have 8 mature Peacocks in my 75G and the aggression is crazy.  One tank boss that has the rest cowering in corners almost all day long. Then, the number two will start in on the others. I lowered the tank temp to 75 to see if that helps, but it's the same. Rock work hiding places has not worked.  None have been killed as of yet but there are plenty of torn fins. Do I add another 5-6 fish to overstock, or just live with this.......can't believe I'm saying this but I'm tempted to dump these fish and start with something else.....
sorry to hear john. things were going well. sadly its just the nature of these tanks. thats why i switched. i was so stressed out trying to keep things going. to answer your question, im not an advocate for over stocking, im not sure why that has become gospel in the community. adding more fish will likely throw the balance off even further. i honestly think my problem was my tank was too small for adult peas and haps. hopefully you can reign them in.

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »

Thanks Mike
I have already moved 3 or 4 fish because of aggression. This is my prize otter point, the fish in my avatar, so it will kill me to move him on. I'll try isolating him first.
Yea it always seem to be one of your favorite fish!! Mine was my protomelas splitonotus tanzania which fortunately worked out for me. Try isolating him in the main tank so the other fish can see him. I used a little plastic hermit crab cage and put him in the main tank. Good luck john

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:02:18 PM »
OK...the terrorizer is in solitary, and small fry net inside the main tank. Figure I'll leave him in there for about 4 weeks and then put him back in the main. If that doesn't work, to the LFS he goes.

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 220
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 01:53:27 AM »
Moving him on is the best way forward. I have moved two fish on a  jewel cichlid that just chased all other fish all day 24 hours a day it seemed and a fusco that just attacked everything even my hand and the glass lol. my tank is now so much better aggression wise .  I am happy with it new they was great looking fish and it was hard to get rid of them but I had to. I found them good homes friends from my local fish club had them. Its all good I gave them free and I have had fish from others free also.

Fish clubs are a dying thing in most places in the UK how are they doing In America?
I feel lucky to have one so close that is still going with 243 members and apparently it only had 73 members 8 year ago.     
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:58:48 AM by waycool6 »
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
Just start another tank up for him and put some females in with him ;)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:43:29 PM »
Behaving as a douchebag pays off!!!
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
Behaving as a douchebag pays off!!!

that never worked for me when I tried it............. :05

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
I deal with aggression by moving fish on to my local LFS my mbuna can be total assholes once they reach adulthood. I have a few different tanks and have been quite successful at breeding the fish its kind of hard not to be if you have males and females together I literally have hundreds of fry right now. Red Zebra, Yellow Labs, Maingano, Albino Socolofi, greshakei and some greshakei hybrids that are crazy looking. I am considering moving most of the adults on and starting over with the younger fish they are much less aggressive and with mbuna they are just miniature versions of the adult with nice color. 

Part of me wants to just pick the least aggressive fish in my inventory probably my Maingano and Yellow Labs for my 55 gallon and just stick with that they don't get too big and they are my easiest to sell to the LFS. I also am flirting with the idea of switching my 40 gallon breeder over to a Tang tank with some calvus and julies I know they are a lil slower moving but as far as less aggressive I don't know.
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
Just an update....nothing worked so that SOB is on his way to a shop today, along with a sweet yellow hybrid that has a twin the the main tank.   Bummer, but's how the fishies swim.....

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that John. Always sucks to move on a stud of a fish!

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »

Yes, but it is the Studs that are the most Jerks. 
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
I brought them to a place I haven't been to before, about 35 minutes away. Its an established store that has just changed hands. I spoke to one of the  new owners for a while, who was a nice guy. They have plenty of tropicals, some marine fish and corals, but a limited number of cichlids.  The place is pretty run down, but they have plans for upgrades as they go. I hope they make it because there are very few decent privately owned shops around any more.  I ended up with a container of NLS pellets in return, which is more than I expected.  I guess it's time to change my avatar !!

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 02:31:38 AM »

Yes, but it is the Studs that are the most Jerks.
Touchť.