African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Introducing Juvies to Adult tank???  (Read 554 times)

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Introducing Juvies to Adult tank???
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:31:51 PM »
So I knew the day was coming My 40 gallon breeder is getting way overcrowded. I have 4 mostly fully grown Yellow Labs around 4 inches 3 of their offspring around 3 inches, 3 elongatus chewere juvies around 3 inches, one OB red zebra a 2 1/2 inches, about a dozen greshakei juvies 2-3 inches, 2 bristle nose plecos 3 inches and 2 featherfin catshish around 4 inches.

Eventually my plan is to take all but the nicest male greshakie to the LFS but at the moment I'm unsure which will be the best I am thinking of moving about 4 or 5 of the greshakei juvies to my other tank for them to grow a bit more but Im unsure how Co tank boss dad will be around them also a lil concerned about my 5 inch bumblebee, his mouth is huge. 

I think the larger ones will be safe from being eaten but is my concern of dad a large dominant aggressive zebra well founded or am I worrying too much? Will he see them as competition since they look like him only smaller or will he leave them alone since they are only half his size?

Who has successfully or unsuccessfully added juvies to their adult population and what were your results? also any pointers? tips?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:42:34 PM by cscott1 »
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline CichlidLove01

• Egg
Re: Introducing Juvies to Adult tank???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
So I knew the day was coming My 40 gallon breeder is getting way overcrowded. I have 4 mostly fully grown Yellow Labs around 4 inches 3 of their offspring around 3 inches, 3 elongatus chewere juvies around 3 inches, one OB red zebra a 2 1/2 inches, about a dozen greshakei juvies 2-3 inches, 2 bristle nose plecos 3 inches and 2 featherfin catshish around 4 inches.

Eventually my plan is to take all but the nicest male greshakie to the LFS but at the moment I'm unsure which will be the best I am thinking of moving about 4 or 5 of the greshakei juvies to my other tank for them to grow a bit more but Im unsure how Co tank boss dad will be around them also a lil concerned about my 5 inch bumblebee, his mouth is huge. 

I think the larger ones will be safe from being eaten but is my concern of dad a large dominant aggressive zebra well founded or am I worrying too much? Will he see them as competition since they look like him only smaller or will he leave them alone since they are only half his size?

Who has successfully or unsuccessfully added juvies to their adult population and what were your results? also any pointers? tips?
Hello cscott1, My female and male Yellow Labs had fry about 5 weeks ago. They and myself are first time parents of these little ones. I did strip her of some of the fry just in case they would be eaten by the other tank mates. I left about 3 in her mouth so that she wasn't deprived of her mothering instinct and duties. She spit them out about 3 days later. I am amazed at how her and the Dad have stood gaurd over them. It is fascinating to watch them. The are on a mission. Dad, who is the tank boss, is the most vigilant, relinquishing some of his power to stay with them. Mom, who used to be bullied, now is intimated by no one. It has been 5 weeks now, and they are still at it. I have even seen them take food into them.
Has anyone ever experienced this before? I thought they only protected them for about a week? The other tank mates are: a pair of Blue Cobalts and a pair of Peacocks.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Offline CichlidLove01

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
First picture is when she was holding. Second was when I first stripped them. Third is Dad.

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:39:35 PM »
That is really cool my fry have not been around mom and dad in months so I doubt they are going to remember them or protect them in any way. I'm guessing when fry get to a certain size mom and dad lose interest in them and they are on their own and at some point they become competition and it becomes a fight to see who's top dog or fish in this case.
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline CichlidLove01

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »
That is really cool my fry have not been around mom and dad in months so I doubt they are going to remember them or protect them in any way. I'm guessing when fry get to a certain size mom and dad lose interest in them and they are on their own and at some point they become competition and it becomes a fight to see who's top dog or fish in this case.
Well, the children were introduced back in the tank when they were about an 18 of an inch long, and mom and dad protect them and the others ignore them.

Offline CichlidLove01

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
Well, the children were introduced back in the tank when they were about an 18 of an inch long, and mom and dad protect them and the others ignore them.

And they are close to a half inch...lol.. One thing I noticed is that the babies that stayed with the parents are a good bit bigger than the ones I stripped.

Offline edevingo

• Wriggler
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »

I have a 30g that I had to put my yellow lab in becauese he kept on trying to take over my 60g, which is home to an almost 8inch Electric Blue Hap. Needless to say, I do not have a "Mellow" yellow lab. Lol Anyways last week I purchased 4 more yellow labs (fingers crossed they are all female) When they were ready to go in with him I said a little prayer and stood with a net in hand just in case I needed to get them out. Well luckily they are all still alive. My adult male definetly made it clear it was his tank but he doesn't flash them, like he did to everyone in my larger tank. I'm guessing it's because they are so young and they don't show any territorial, aggressive behaviour yet. That being said all hell might and prob will break loose a few months from now.
I've also added much smaller peacocks with my Hap and he doesn't bother with them, none of the adults have ever bothered with new smaller juveniles I've added to any of my tanks. Again it's when they're almost mature, that I have to start moving things around ect..
I also do at least 3 at a time and have plenty of places for them to go were adults can't fit.
 Theres really so many things you can do or try. I just ran out and bought a 40g breeder because of a Red Zebra that doesn't like to live with other Red Zebras. In my experience color is a huge factor in aggression towards eachother. Fourteen others and only concerned with taking down the other Red Zebra in the tank.
 Well good luck or hope you had luck!