African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Help with stocking  (Read 553 times)

Offline lukewd85

• Egg
Help with stocking
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:21:52 PM »
Hi everyone. I have a few posts in different sections. This post is mainly as I am a beginner in keeping malawis. I am struggling to find anywhere decent to buy them. I think I am going with mbuna. Could anyone please help me with which mbuna are good for someone new to keeping them. I have been keeping fish for 15 years or more mainly large and monster cichlids and other fish though . Any help would be really appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
Re: Help with stocking
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »
Rustys and yellow labs are great beginner mbuna to have together  as they're relatively peaceful and colourful

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 01:31:14 AM »
I'm not a mbuna guy so I can't help you there. What size tank do you have?where are you located?
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline lukewd85

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
I have a 240 jewel at the moment. in 3 months or so going to a 550l . Had to get rid of my 1400l as the wife wanted to decorate [emoji24].

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
I have a 240 jewel at the moment. in 3 months or so going to a 550l . Had to get rid of my 1400l as the wife wanted to decorate [emoji24].

Dam women ruin everything don't they? 😂 550l is still a bite size and give you some good options for stocking. Where are you located? Someone will be able to help you with sourcing some quality fish
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
Rustys, Yellow Labs, and Saulosi are good choices till you get the 550L tank. 
And where are you located to assist with fish locations.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline lukewd85

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »
located in South wales. still having trouble cycling my tank at the moment. it's cloudy as hell.

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 220
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:15:33 PM »
If it is milky white cloudy water then its a bacteria bloom this is not nice to look at but its a good sign in a cycling tank it just mains you are producing lots of good bacteria so much so that it is depleting the oxygen

A Bacterial Bloom is Part of the Nitrogen Cycle
Most of the bacteria in the aquarium are aerobic as it is a oxygen dominated environment, and these bacteria require lots of oxygen. When the heterotrophic bacteria bloom into the water column and switch to their aerobic state, this is a big drain on the oxygen content of the water.

Oxygen deprivation is the only risk to the fish during a bacterial bloom, as the heterotrophs themselves are harmless to fish, (fish may be gasping for air at the surface of the water during this part of the nitrogen cycle), and so good advice is to increase aeration! with a airstone or powerhead it should clear up after 12-48 hours if you have no fish in the tank then you have nothing to wory about but I would increase the surface agitation.
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline Faggers

• Global Moderator
  • Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 160
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
Places to buy good quality fish are:
K&C Rift Valley Cichlids - Manchester
Lake Malawi Imports - London
Kevs Rifts - Pontefract

Search them out on Fbook groups. They deliver as well.
K&C and Kevs do tank bred, F1 and wilds, LMI only do wilds.
Real name Andy

Offline lukewd85

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:39:05 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for all your help. Got a nice list ready now. Going to ring around tomorrow. I'm having a bit of trouble with my jbl cristolprofi 1901e external filter. It's leaking from the clips. I took the head apart though and it is full of water. I think it's supposed to be dry in there. does anyone have any ideas? cheers.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:46:40 PM by lukewd85 »

Offline lukewd85

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
The o rings look ok and the sides of the holes they go in arnt wet. It really seams like it's coming through a crack or something but I cant see anything. If anyone could help it would be apreciated. It's doing my head in. [emoji2]