African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: All about african cichlids  (Read 625 times)

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
All about african cichlids
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
Hi everyone, I am a newbie when it comes to the world of African cichlids and have done some research about them. 
As you can tell by my name, the Frontosa is my absolute favourite fish by far! I have hear the frontosa is not suitable for beginners but could I start out with it or is it not recommended. If not what  other cichlids are good for beginners. I know there are  3 lakes  and I like peacocks the most.

Any pointers?
Regards Thomas

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 220
Re: All about african cichlids
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
Frontosa can grow to 33 cm 1.1 foot You will need a big tank but the benefits of a big take is its easier to meantime If Frontosa is what you want I would say go for it beginner or not  IMO as long as you have some experience with fish keeping you will be fine they are very nice fish that are best kept in groups I think a sepsis tank would be the best idea but there are some tank mates you can put with them you cant really keep them with none carnivores fish. But you could maybe keep them with giraffe cichlids (Nimbochromis venustus) There are members on here that keep them so What for more advice from the guys that know more about them than me.             
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:43:49 PM by waycool6 »
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice!, will probably look into it but might start with easier cichlids to get the hang of thing in the African cichlid hobby

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 220
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice!, will probably look into it but might start with easier cichlids to get the hang of thing in the African cichlid hobby

That would be a good idea but make sure you get the biggest tank that fits your space and you can afford. The bigger the better easier to meantime so les work giving you more time to enjoy your fish. Haps & Peacocks would be a good place to start.       
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
Keep in mind that male Peacocks are the colorful ones.If you get them young it will take time for them to color up. Most of us go with a male only tank, but that can lead to plenty of fighting. Be prepared to remove the big troublemakers if you go that route. Also, only one of each type to keep the fighting at a minimum.  I've had to re-home a good half dozen fish because of that. They are beautiful fish. Good luck...

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
Welcome to the HUB, but I have very little experience with Fronts.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »
Thanx man

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
The Fronts are slow growers, but do get very large.  They can live many years if kept well. I would think of a group of 6-8 fish in a 180 gallon tank min.   If you research Tanganyika fish it will show water requirements/food requirements/décor options/and tankmate options.  Species tanks look best in my opinion. If you take your time now to research it will save you time and money and extra work later
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
Thanks free swimmer

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 01:54:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum fronts are awesome fish but I would start with something easier you can still start with tangs there are ones that are really cool but doesn't require a massive tank maybe check out calvus neat fish.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 05:08:54 AM »
If you are going to stick with tangs fronts are probably the most placid of them all the only difficulty is they get big.
You can put them with other tangs like gold head comps or calvus and some other cave dwellers.
Tangs are a little bit more difficult to keep in general as they require  there parameters to be very stable.
I say go for it get around 10 juvies then once you can sex them move on the all males except one or two and you should be left with a decent colony

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 06:30:35 AM »
I was thinking I might start with yellow labs to get the hang of the African cichlid hobby

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
i would get the tank and filtration sorted first. that will help dictate what fish you should or shouldnt keep. do you have a ball park estimate on what you plan on running?

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Not really

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
I am not saying I will start an African cichlid tank but I might

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »
You are doing the right thing buy researching first and this is a great place to learn use the forums search feature to read through all the older threads and of course you can start new threads and ask the members questions its helped me a ton so many people just go out and buy a tank and just throw fish in it before they know what they are doing.
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline Karl

• Wriggler
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
Like when shops sell baby arowana haha they start small. I would preach mbuna to you they are my fav. For tangs I like Neolamprologus brichardi and the little shell dwellers also.

Offline FrontosaFan

• Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
Thanks csott