African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Choosing Fish.  (Read 869 times)

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 220
Choosing Fish.
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
Hi Guys time for the good part choosing Fish. Tank 180x60x55 cm LxWxH

I have been keeping South Americans new world Cichlids for many years now and wanted something different.

This is my first African tank I decided  on a all male Haps & Peacock's tank.
I know I need to stock them In high numbers I know what water parameters should be. And I have learned SO much more on here. Thank you everyone for all your help.

What I don't Know is what fish go well together In a all male Haps & Peacock's tank.
I do know all fish have different temperaments and that is only something I will know about in time
But I think It helps better if I can get it right first time that's where you guys come in LOL.

there is a list (BELOW) I was sent from the breeder.
I have already prepaid for my fish X30 but I need to put together my order list.
Now I don't have to have 30 fish so if people think that is too much for this 6ft tank 
(full dimesons above.) . Some aggression is fine but I don't want to much.
I can get whatever fits nicely in to the tank and get a refund for any moneys left over Or get some quality food. 

Please feel free to help me choose.

(Stok list)

Aulonocara Red Rubin Peacock 4 - 5 cm
Aulonacara Orange Blotch Peacock, stunning colours 4 - 5 cm
Aulonocara Baenschi 4 - 5 cm
Aulonocara Maylandi Sulphur Head 4 - 5 cm
Aulonocara Jacobfriebergi all types 4 - 5 cm
Aulonocara Pink Albino fire fish. 4 - 5 cm
Aulonocara Fire fish. 4 - 5 cm
Aulonocara Peacock-Gold Red Eye 4 - 5 cm  nyassae
Aulonocara Peacock Dragon blood very red 4 - 5 cm
Cyrtocara moori Dolphins. 4 - 5 cm
Nimbochromis livingstoni 4 - 5 cm
Nimbochromus Venustus 4 - 5 cm
Copadichromis borleyi red fin 4 - 5 cm
Placidochromis electra 4 - 5 cm
Protomelas fenestratus "steveni tiger" 4 - 5 cm
Protomelas taeniolatus Fire Blue Hap 4 - 5 cm
Haplochromis milomo Super VC-10 hap 4 - 5 cm
Sciaenochromis fryeri/ahli  4 - 5 cm

Fish below 4cm are not listed lots more in stock if I am prepared to what.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:04:17 PM by waycool6 »
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
Re: Choosing Fish.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
Being all around the same size, I would get all of them and let them grow together. Will hopefully reduce the chances of aggression between them.
You can always thin them out later and keep favorites and move on truouble makers.
Having said that.........[emoji6]
I would only get one of the fire fish/dragon blood as they are essentially just different colour morphs of the same fish (line bred with mbuna in there somewhere).
The red Rubin and jacobfriebergi may look too similar over time and argue at some stage.
Protomelas can fight if one is bigger/more mature than the other but being the same size maybe ok.
Basically try to get fish that won't look too similar when they are mature as that will reduce the chances of aggression. But you never can tell, some fish that you expect to be good aren't and others that you expect to be bad are good.
In my tank (same size) I have borleyi, fryeri, baenschi, fire fish, lwanda, German red, protomelas red empress, blue neon, lithobates and just recently added a p gissel and lethinrops. They all get on well with minimal fighting (borleyi is boss), but have had to move on many fish over the years as they just were too much trouble.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
alex is pretty much spot on. keep it as diverse as possible, one fish per species. be prepared to rehome ANY fish thats hyper dominant and causing issues with tank balance.. every time you add fish is a roll of the dice. there is no blueprint to follow for success. i used to cringe when adding new fish to my all male tank.

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
Being all around the same size, I would get all of them and let them grow together. Will hopefully reduce the chances of aggression between them.
You can always thin them out later and keep favorites and move on truouble makers.
I would only get one of the fire fish/dragon blood as they are essentially just different colour morphs of the same fish (line bred with mbuna in there somewhere).
The red Rubin and jacobfriebergi may look too similar over time and argue at some stage.
Protomelas can fight if one is bigger/more mature than the other but being the same size maybe ok.
Basically try to get fish that won't look too similar when they are mature as that will reduce the chances of aggression. But you never can tell, some fish that you expect to be good aren't and others that you expect to be bad are good.
In my tank (same size) I have borleyi, fryeri, baenschi, fire fish, lwanda, German red, protomelas red empress, blue neon, lithobates and just recently added a p gissel and lethinrops. They all get on well with minimal fighting (borleyi is boss), but have had to move on many fish over the years as they just were too much trouble.
So basically everything on the list has petechial cool Thanks. I have seen the fish she has and most of them are already showing colours Here is a vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz6RPPDya7k
The video don't really do the fish justice they look so much better in real life. And there is so much more she has in stock. I have even see the adult fish their are stunning. Cant what to get them its not nice looking at a empty tank LOL.             
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
alex is pretty much spot on. keep it as diverse as possible, one fish per species. be prepared to rehome ANY fish thats hyper dominant and causing issues with tank balance.. every time you add fish is a roll of the dice. there is no blueprint to follow for success. i used to cringe when adding new fish to my all male tank.
Thanks man. I have been waiting over a year for this tank hiding hit from the wife LOL planning & Paying for her to go on holiday so I can get it all setup. You know the stuff buttering her up LOL. we all do it HAHAH.   

Offline Flippin Fins Aquatics

• Tank Mate
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:40:01 AM »
Only "pretty much" spot on Alex.  Not spot on......

Note to self, must try harder Lol.
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji636]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The environment for the fish looking out of the glass is far more important than the pleasure of the monkeys looking in.

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »

At least I am trying [emoji6].......very trying depending on who you ask [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »

lmao. well how should i have phrased it? "alex is unequivocally correct in every facet of his statement, his words are the gospel, and he should be revered for the rest of his days"?  :D i gave the man his props. well "pretty much"  :02

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »

At least I am trying [emoji6].......very trying depending on who you ask [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
"you tried your best and failed miserably, the lesson for today is never try" homer j simpson. lmao

• Tank Mate
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »
Lol.

The environment for the fish looking out of the glass is far more important than the pleasure of the monkeys looking in.

• Tank Mate
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

lmao. well how should i have phrased it? "alex is unequivocally correct in every facet of his statement, his words are the gospel, and he should be revered for the rest of his days"?  :D i gave the man his props. well "pretty much"  :02
[/quote]

Or  maybe just " I agree with Alex"

ish........
[emoji12]

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »
Are you lot on drugs or what.   

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »

lol something fishy is going on...
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
well how should i have phrased it? "alex is unequivocally correct in every facet of his statement, his words are the gospel, and he should be revered for the rest of his days"?  :D i gave the man his props. well "pretty much"  :02

His head will swell to the point that he can no longer do Water changes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:09:03 PM by Kingston1 »
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
What's going on? I try to give some advice and this is what happens? Turns into another Simon hijack [emoji6][emoji23]

• Tank Mate
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »
What's going on? I try to give some advice and this is what happens? Turns into another Simon hijack [emoji6][emoji23]
Alex, mate. Don't put yourself down. That's Dave's job. Your advice was spot on...........[emoji12]

And yes, it seems I've done it again......

Taxiiiiiiiiiiiii[emoji596] .....

• Tank Mate
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
Ummmmm, yes.

Caffeine!!![emoji15]

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
i may have been at a "few" parties and "caffene" was floating around.

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »
Well back to reality. I will soon be getting my fish I have planed for them around July 9th as that is my birthday lol.     

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
And Happy with it I am Thank very much.   

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
Never changes!!!  Same names, different days :nod:. Hyjackers the whole lot of ya :10 :10 :p. And yes, they have all been sniffing dechlorinator and smoking Matrix :D
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 10:07:07 PM »
Never changes!!!  Same names, different days :nod:. Hyjackers the whole lot of ya :10 :10 :p. And yes, they have all been sniffing dechlorinator and smoking Matrix :D
ive moved on to purigen, matrix doesnt have that kick that it used to.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 01:50:10 AM »
  Agreed.. And trying to catch fish can be a nightmare !
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..