African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Haplochromis Nyererei Lake Victoria Cichlid  (Read 1310 times)

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 220
Haplochromis Nyererei Lake Victoria Cichlid
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:02:19 PM »
Can this Hap be kept with Haps and peacock's from lake Malawi I ask as there isn't much info on them.

Ok So this is what I have fond out so far.

The entire nyererei complex is composed of beautiful fish that make wonderful aquarium residents. Nyererei are undemanding fish that can tolerate most any water conditions. They can be easily housed with most all Malawi or Victorian cichlids and some of the Tanganyikan cichlids. Dominant males will almost always be in colour with fins displayed. The species adapts to a wide variety of aquascapes. full article here http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke/fishpages/fpage_punda_nyererei_python.html

I really like them
Anyone know anything about them.

Below is a photo
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
Re: Haplochromis Nyererei Lake Victoria Cichlid
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
King or chopstick would be the best people to answer. I'm sure they will get back to you soon.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:12:59 AM »
King or chopstick would be the best people to answer. I'm sure they will get back to you soon.
You have to admit Fishboy this is a beautiful fish.   
Nyererei frontosa clown loach Red tailed shark TBM Red Rubin OBM  Orange Blotch F1M Baenschi F1M Maylandi Sulphur Head F1M Jacobfriebergi TBM Pink Albino fire fish TBM Fire fish TBM Gold Red Eye TBM Dragon blood x2 F1M moori Dolphins. F1M livingstoni F1M Venustus F1M borleyi red fin F1M steveni tiger F1M Super VC-10 hap F1M fryeri/ahli F1M Red Empress 2x F1M Aulonocara sp. "Maleri /1`x Orange 1x white Peacock

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:22:28 AM »
Hey what do you want to know ?
I wouldn't keep them with haps and peacocks way to aggressive in my opinion, mbuna it could work and def wouldn't wouldn't put them with tangs would tear most to shreds

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 02:03:39 AM »
You have to admit Fishboy this is a beautiful fish.
Agree with that. The colours  are amazing.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 02:39:12 AM »
The only thing i found with these guys or most vics here in oz it is extremely hard to get pure species especially with these guys almost all of them are hybrids

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 02:39:55 AM »
Can this Hap be kept with Haps and peacock's from lake Malawi I ask as there isn't much info on them.

The entire nyererei complex is composed of beautiful fish that make wonderful aquarium residents. Nyererei are undemanding fish that can tolerate most any water conditions. They can be easily housed with most all Malawi or Victorian cichlids and some of the Tanganyikan cichlids. Dominant males will almost always be in colour with fins displayed. The species adapts to a wide variety of aquascapes. full article here http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke/fishpages/fpage_punda_nyererei_python.html

I really like them

Below is a photo
i have to defer to mikes judgement on this one. but honestly no fish addition is ever a sure thing. regardless of others experiences. ive bought dozens of fish over the years that had to be rehomed. 

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
Hey what do you want to know ?
I wouldn't keep them with haps and peacocks way to aggressive in my opinion, mbuna it could work and def wouldn't wouldn't put them with tangs would tear most to shreds
Thank you. When I read the article on this fish I fort it was saying that it dose mix well with all Malawi or Victorian cichlids and some of the Tanganyikan cichlids. but there are a lot of species so I fined it misleading in a since. There is no mention of haps and peacocks but they are also Malawi cichlids. All my pre orded haps and peacocks will be in and arrowed 5cm. So maybe if I was to get just one Nyererei at about the same size it would work. But I am only just getting in to Africans I have been keeping Americans for years so not yet had the experience so don't want to deal with massive aggression untiled I have more hands on experience.             
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:22:15 PM by waycool6 »

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »

I really like them

Below is a photo
i have to defer to mikes judgement on this one. but honestly no fish addition is ever a sure thing. regardless of others experiences. ive bought dozens of fish over the years that had to be rehomed.
I was thinking If I got just one nyererei of around the same size it could work. But the article is a little misleading I think.   

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
The only thing i found with these guys or most vics here in oz it is extremely hard to get pure species especially with these guys almost all of them are hybrids
  hybrids or not if it looks like that guy in the photo I would not care.
But I know what you main. 

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »
It's not the flameback Id be worried he will be the dominant Male in the tank imo king would be better suited to answer as he now keeps that actual fish in a colony

Offline Flippin Fins Aquatics

• Tank Mate
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 05:13:43 PM »
I keep 3  Victorians, Neochromis Omnicaeruleus Makobe OB with my Mbuna. They have a reputation for being mean and they can be with each other but they do seem to leave the rest alone.
I don't keep Haps so couldn't say how they would get on. Mbuna can give as good as they get and I am considering getting a pair of Pundamilia Nyerere Makobe Island.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The environment for the fish looking out of the glass is far more important than the pleasure of the monkeys looking in.

Offline King Kyoga

• Tank Mate
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 09:51:08 PM »
Although, I dnt keep Haps...I've seen alot of ppl add them to setups with Haps & Peacocks. It's actually a popular thing to do here in Phoenix...
   But it's always a gamble whenever mixing different species and results often vary. It could work or not, there's no definite answer...
    If you asked me, I'd house one male to 5 females of the same species, but that's me.

For kicks here's my Makobe Island Nyererei who also has just got me a fresh brood...this is Bogus, my fav fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline waycool6

• Sub Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »
Although, I dnt keep Haps...I've seen alot of ppl add them to setups with Haps & Peacocks. It's actually a popular thing to do here in Phoenix...
   But it's always a gamble whenever mixing different species and results often vary. It could work or not, there's no definite answer...
    If you asked me, I'd house one male to 5 females of the same species, but that's me.

For kicks here's my Makobe Island Nyererei who also has just got me a fresh brood...this is Bogus, my fav fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice fish looks quality. I may try to keep one of them if it don't work then I will have to move him on its part of the hobby I don't like moving fish on just as I don't like to see fish get beaten up to the point they look half dead. But I hope it works because I think this fish is amazing And would look good in any ones aquarium likewise your fish amazing. Thank you