African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Paul's 1st discus tank  (Read 2631 times)

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 540
Re: Paul's 1st discus tank
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
Meant Corys (blasted predictive text), I would go with at least 10 or 12 of  the same species but the more the better (in the Giant even 3 dozen would get lost) as this way they display much better their behaviour
  Aaahhhh..  The Hoplo cat would be confused lol  I understand they don't live real long, like 5 years.. They aren't very large but Cichlids leave them be from what I have learned.. Plecos are supposed to live very long like near 30 years. I would have to put them in my will lol  I put some nice pics on my thread this morning.
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
Have you considered Guianacara? Would fit in well with the peaceful setup
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2018, 12:40:40 AM »
Have you considered Guianacara? Would fit in well with the peaceful setup
  Looks like a little Geophagus breed.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 10:22:00 AM »
Equally a bit of a digger, but you have no plants to uproot
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »
Now 10 months old, lately they were breathing a bit faster, a bit paler and less appetite, as parameters all ok I guessed they had outgrown the oxygenating capacity of the system, added a head pump (300 gph) and they soon went back to normal. Ordered a bigger canister filter (usual Jebao 304 from Wiltec in Germany), arrived today so I'll se if the increased flowrate / sulerficial agitation is sufficient. Anyway I am going to order a batch of Sunsun wavemakers, one for the discus (maybe to use on a timer) and some for the aging tanks and mbuna ones.
https://youtu.be/Um7XqAKzLpg

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
Tank/fish looks nice Paul.  Those discus have really grown.   An inspiration for me to get a Discus tank again in the future--Just do not like a bare tank with fishes in it, and of course the "more" frequent" water changes. 
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2018, 11:40:11 PM »
Now 10 months old, lately they were breathing a bit faster, a bit paler and less appetite, as parameters all ok I guessed they had outgrown the oxygenating capacity of the system, added a head pump (300 gph) and they soon went back to normal. Ordered a bigger canister filter (usual Jebao 304 from Wiltec in Germany), arrived today so I'll se if the increased flowrate / sulerficial agitation is sufficient. Anyway I am going to order a batch of Sunsun wavemakers, one for the discus (maybe to use on a timer) and some for the aging tanks and mbuna ones.
https://youtu.be/Um7XqAKzLpg
  For the money, its hard to beat the sunsun wavemakers, but mine got noticeably weaker in 5-6 months. I got the Jabeo 2700-5600 adjustable wavemakers now and they are rocking on 2 setting in my 12 1/2 wide tank. They go to like 8 setting with surge and pause and misc settings. Fish look so nice !!

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 12:10:11 AM »
Wow they got big since I seen them last! Very nice looking specimens Paul!! 👌🏼
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »
As a 1st attempt at growing out discus I am reasonably happy so far but it takes more effort than all my other tanks put togeter.  With these fish if you want some plants and decor in the tank and get away with one or two weekly water changes then your best bet is to buy fully grown discus (you may get a little change from $100 per fish), if you buy juvies then bare bottom tank and big daily water changes is what gives best results. this means having a reasonably slick way of aging water, removing >50% water from the tank then replacing it. As far as lack of plants/decor, I have the whole ran: from the bb discus to the sand/fake plants in the oranda, rocks in the mbuna tanks and 5 planted tanks so it does not bother me and actually I just enjoy watching the discus with no distraction, once fully grown I have plans...