African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Socos Mixed Mini Malawi  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
Re: Socos Mixed Mini Malawi
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »
Braces are required, methinks! How low can you run the water in the sump for the week or so it will take for the silicone to fully cure?
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
  • Tank Gallons: 92
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
I have currently dropped water by 50% sump maker reckons he can make brackets to fit and hold the bowing to prevent furthee. Waiting for more info from him at the moment

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 11:59:37 AM »
sorry to hear about this. how large is the sump, and how full is it during operation? im surprised its bowing, he def should of used some type of bracing. id be pissed.

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:09 PM »
Cant remember how much it holds but normally 70% full when running. Im annoyed he didnt put bracing he even questioned me as to if he did! So apparently hes going to make a bracket that i will silicon in place....

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2018, 06:18:21 PM »
Cant remember how much it holds but normally 70% full when running. Im annoyed he didnt put bracing he even questioned me as to if he did! So apparently hes going to make a bracket that i will silicon in place....
no excuse for a sump bowing.. How many gallons capacity is the sump ?  I have already got bracing plans for 1000gallon tank.. no bowing.. You never know when the bowing turns into a total failure  :no:
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 02:08:37 AM »
hey free, I think from when I designed it that it works out about 21 gallons....., but I probably run it at about 18 gals and dropped to about 25% capacity now...... im now anxious its going to pop....... I don't know whether I can trust the sump now even with brackets made..... eurgh..... wut to do.......

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
Sigh I'm questioning everything that I have done since the day I bought my tank...... or really my dad bought it. Cant fully the the inner filter box out, spent alot of money on canister filters that were crud..... custom sump made and installed with lifereef overflow...... now the sump has bowed slightly I still haven't heard back from the sump builder after he agreed to make brackets for the sump at his costing.... Even then I couldn't run the sump at full capacity with confidence....

I'm so gutted and don't know where to go now or what to do..... so gutted..... so disappointed.... :41

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Chin up girl, at least the fish are alive, the rest is just inconvenience (and waste of hard earned money)! Take care!
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
Cheers paul mate, had a chat with my dad 30 mins ago and lile he said. I earn well so go again either a better sump or a new system whatever it takes to keep the fish happy and limiting flood possibilities

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »
Cheers paul mate, had a chat with my dad 30 mins ago and lile he said. I earn well so go again either a better sump or a new system whatever it takes to keep the fish happy and limiting flood possibilities
  Sad to be sold sump. and not helped with its inadequacy.. Hope all gets resolved, so you can enjoy hobby like you should be able to ..
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2018, 04:38:34 AM »
sorry to hear about this. i was happy that you finally had it up and running. dont feel bad. ive changed my sump configuration 3 or 4 times before i was satisfied. you could look to brace it yourself. or if possible sell this system and look for something more suitable. hope that you find resolution to the issue either way. ill be glad to help if im able to.

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
Sump maker said he would make me brackets 3 weeks ago. Had his dads funeral a few days after contact. Heard nothing since, he doesnt seem interested in the little contracts like mine. Just gunning for the larger contracts lile cardiff university.

Ill adjust my design abit and get it either framed or fully braced with top holes for pipes and lids or something....

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2018, 02:31:28 AM »
New sump was delivered around 2 weeks ago and installed 4 days ago.

A simple design and much smaller then I would have liked but the perfect shape to fit the sump like the other made me uncomfortable to try again so a simple square sump.
All made by ND Aquatics, has a rim brace, fits my filter sock holder so if a sock floods it floods over into the sump rather then my dads carpet!

Quite happy with it all so far, on filtration we are now on plan Zsquared. sigh the final attempt before throwing in the towel. I think what I have spent on filtration now equals 75% what my dad paid for that tank.... XD

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »
Size isnít that big a deal just gives you more options , just use marine pure or matrix

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »
I think I have over killed on the filter media in fairness but im happy with it, going back to using the felt filter socks got some more on order and I will be bucket cleaning them in the yard on my days off but I will have 6 for rotation for now and probably get afew more so I can keep a full rotation going without running out of clean socks.

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »
Felt sock cleaning routine, a good bleach soak and super rinse then a soak with plenty of prime. Then once we have 5 they got in the washing machine on a 15m cool cycle and they come out pretty pristine! We are well happy so far.... hope it lasts  :thumbup

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2019, 03:12:45 AM »
Well since as I refound the forum again I have a new update, we have lost my red zebra, the rustys I had have bred like mad and I moved some more ontomy dads friends tank although I don't think that will be happening any more based on the state of his tank.

However I did get 3 new fish about 6 days ago and they are awesome 1 was a supprise which turned outtobe the fish I wanted without realising till I got it home! Time to wall of text you guys with a story regarding the new fish and dads friend.
I found a new to me store near called "Maidenhead Aquatics" didn't know we had a chain nearby but we do YAAAAAAAY!!!! So dad said we could go and I would get us 2 or 3 new fish depending on the state of their tanks and if i like what they are doing.
Needless to say I do like what they are doing so I selected 3 fish, 1x OB Trewavasae, 1x Greshakei and what I wanted but didn't realise I had actually selected 1x Perspicax.

Now onto my dads friend, while I was waiting to be assisted my dads friend turned to me and said "ooooo I want that OB its nice looking and the other little one u wanted!" I was now horrified incase he got them in a bag before I could!!
Howeverhe then followed on with "well I decided not to because 2 of the rustys you gave me have popeye again...."

Yes when I can I do water changes in his tank, but I have my own tank to take care of and don't wanna pass anything between our tanks. He isn't hugely steady on his feet, has next to no muscle mass so cant walk too far without having to hold onto his legs for support....

Sigh my baby rustys this is now the 3rd or 4th time that 2 have had popeye in his tank, they never get w/c unless I do it but im busy with work, my own tank, my leopard gecko and life in general. He used to keep loads of tank when he was younger but since he retired he totally neglects his tank cus he just physically cannot do maintenance on it, hes also of the age where his knowledge is now lacking andhe thinks that nitrates  must just disappear I dunno. Sigh I feel guilty for all his tank the original fish he got are used to the conditions slowly as it got worse but obviously my baby rustys arnt hence the reoccurring popeye.

I don't know what to do I cant get him to regularly w/c as he cant and his wife is actually scared of fish. However now I know the extent of his water quality my fish will from now on be finding better homes that arnt with him.

Wall of txt complete, please have a tea and a nap to resume the rest of your day if you can pick your jaw up from the floor with what I have just told you regarding the state of his tank.  :no:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:15:33 AM by Socolofifirst »