African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Algae on rocks..  (Read 481 times)

Offline RyanMcgeown

• Egg
Algae on rocks..
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
Hi,

I have noticed when searching other African cichlid aquariums on the Internet for aquascape ideas, they all seem to have no algae on their rocks. I know algae is a good thing but I was wondering how do they keep algae off their rocks? My algae looks like purple with a hint of red and I've read that's good (hoping I'm not mistaking it for black beard algae) but I do like the look of aquariums with dark grey rocks with no algae on.

Thanks

Offline neonkat

• Egg
Re: Algae on rocks..
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
I don't care for algae at all.   I use a rechargeable toothbrush to clean whatever it attaches itself to, quick, thorough, MUCH easier than removing objects from the tank and rinsing them in the sink.  I purchased the least expensive brush available @ WalMart, about $15. 

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »
Welcome to ACH neonkat :thumbup  Please stop by our New Member section and tell us a bit about yourself and your setup :nod:  As for algae build-up on the rock, I think it comes down to personal preference and we have a variety of thoughts here. Personally, I let it grow :)  It becomes a somewhat beneficial feed source to keep them occupied between feedings and from fighting. And it is a more natural environment for them. Of course most keepers have tank bred fish that have never seen Lake Malawi but it can make for a more natural "looking" scape ;)
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
If you do not want any algae, turn down or off the lights.  How long are the lights on?
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.