African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Population readjustment  (Read 534 times)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
Population readjustment
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
Hi, as my tanks have been stocked respectively since last May and July. There could be an added hurdle, seems all courriers have aggreed not to ship live fish or corals anymore, so it will probably be a long traipse to Rome. As I hate going anywhere near the big smoke, I would like to go just the once. In the 6' I have one solitary Labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba that I think is a male (please confirm) and Cynotilapia afra Jalo Reef m+f? So will need extra girls of these two species, rusties, labs and acei seem sorted.
In the 5' I have 4 Saulosi, none of whom have coloured up, one does look a bit bigger and at times shows faintly dusky bars, I also have 3 Perlmutt, one male, one female and one that could be either (intermediate size, intermediate barring). What should I order? 1 m Saulosi? + 3F Permut?
The Rusties and Mainganos in the tank seem sorted. As I am lacking in the M/cat department could I add to this tank some mcat/ob zebras (1/3)? Advice welcome Ciao

100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
Re: Population readjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
If the perlmutt you have is female then you would have a busy male.. If there is only 1 male Saulosi then he will be in color as fast as possible around all the others being females.  I would wait to see what they are over next couple months maybe.
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
you have both purple and green algae. very cool. you almost never see that.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
I will probably go to the fish shop in Rome towards end of April, so will need to put my order in within the next month or so to be reasonably sure they get everything I want (although last time they failed miserably). I think things are straightforward for the 1st tank, but I would really appreciate help with the 2nd. It is a 5' 100gal. Currently 5 mainganos, 5 rusties, 4 Saulosi and 3 Pearlmut. If I add another Saulosi and another 2 Pearls that would be 20 fish. So far the mainganos have held 2 or 3 times, the other species still to hold. Would it be a stretch to add 1/3 Mcat-ob zebras? Could the current population handle them? How likely to cross breed with the Perlmuts? Ciao
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
I had an m cat and another fuelborni as well as cobalts and red zebras with perlmutts and they had no interest in each other.
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »
Thanks, may have found a reputable retailer that still ships

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
Ok, pulled the trigger with this new supplier, got 2 f Labeotropheus trewavasae Chilumba red, 2 Petlmutts, 1 male Saulosi, 1 male mcat and 3 female ob zebras. Let's hope...