African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: My 55 Gallon Wish List  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Boostr

• Egg
My 55 Gallon Wish List
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
This spring I'll be starting a Mbuna Dwarf Cichlid tank. My three fish I would like to stock would be some Saulosis, Rustys,and Afra Edwardis... What are your thoughts will they be somewhat niceish around each other. How many of each could I stock. The saulosis will probaply be M and F cause I want the yellow and blue, the rustys would give me the redish and whites if I go M and F, and the Afras some purples. Thoughts?
Mbuna!

Gezuntheit...

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
Re: My 55 Gallon Wish List
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
Those 3 species, IMO, should work out OK in your 55gal tank.  With these I would have 1M and 3-4 females of each.   If you are really looking to stock just those 3 species, I would have........................
3M Saulosi and 7-8 females, 1M Rusty and 4 females, 1M and 3 female Afra Edwardis (Cobue).
The Afra Edwardis have very plain looking females too. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:20:19 PM by Kingston1 »
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
IMHO saulosi are a good choice, rusties are nice (it is the only species I have in both tanks) but definitely not white! Females are a nice brown, dominant male should develop a purple-ish body. As you would already have the male saulosi as a blue barred male I would skip the cynotilapia and go for labidochromis perlmut instead, in real life they look a lot more attractive than on the internet and they would make great colour contrast with the other two species. Ciao
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
This spring I'll be starting a Mbuna Dwarf Cichlid tank. My three fish I would like to stock would be some Saulosis, Rustys,and Afra Edwardis... What are your thoughts will they be somewhat niceish around each other. How many of each could I stock. The saulosis will probaply be M and F cause I want the yellow and blue, the rustys would give me the redish and whites if I go M and F, and the Afras some purples. Thoughts?
saulosi are pretty brutal. multiple males in a 55g is a bit iffy imo. i only have 2 in my 90g. started with 4, one died from bloat.(never displayed male  coloration) and another was killed by the two remaining males. they split the tank in half. theyre hard on their females too. cant speak on the other fish. 

Offline Boostr

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:26 PM »

IMHO saulosi are a good choice, rusties are nice (it is the only species I have in both tanks) but definitely not white! Females are a nice brown, dominant male should develop a purple-ish body. As you would already have the male saulosi as a blue barred male I would skip the cynotilapia and go for labidochromis perlmut instead, in real life they look a lot more attractive than on the internet and they would make great colour contrast with the other two species. Ciao

Could of been my mistake, one of them looked like they had whitish females. Between the Rusty or Cynotilapia

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Mbuna!

Gezuntheit...

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:42:52 AM »
Rusties are definitely "rusty", can look a little washed out as juvies, cyno females in general are gray-bluish showing faint bars at times. Proper white are either the white strain of labs or the snow white socolofi (who have a bit of a bad rep). If possible try to look the different species "in the flesh" rather than relying on photos/videos
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos

Offline Boostr

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
Rusties are definitely "rusty", can look a little washed out as juvies, cyno females in general are gray-bluish showing faint bars at times. Proper white are either the white strain of labs or the snow white socolofi (who have a bit of a bad rep). If possible try to look the different species "in the flesh" rather than relying on photos/videos

That's easy to do, I'm gonna go to my LFS this weekend. He specializes in Cichlids. 80% of his shop is Cichlids. I've been told he actually travels 2 Africa to get his stock.
Mbuna!

Gezuntheit...

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
saulosi are pretty brutal. multiple males in a 55g is a bit iffy imo. i only have 2 in my 90g. started with 4, one died from bloat.(never displayed male  coloration) and another was killed by the two remaining males. they split the tank in half. theyre hard on their females too. cant speak on the other fish.
I should have been more precise and specified just 1 m 4f saulosi, in a 55g with possibly another 2 species anything more would be too much