African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Stock  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
  • Tank Gallons: 92
Stock
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
Just a comment but also If anyone would agree or disagree with me. Will get my camera and get some pics for opinions later.

Now I started with 3 what I was told are socolofi, no black markings and a pale pale powder blueish colour no black. 2 male 1 female so found a reputable shop for 3 more females, larger then my males but beautiful with black markings. Just watched one of marks video where he shows profiles on certain fish, including socolofi AND cobalt zebra. Now I'm thinking my original 3 "socolofi" may in fact be cobalt zebra instead.

I came to this thought after I have bought 3 "white tail" acei from this place and the guy told me "I got you the smaller younger ones hence the yellow tails but they will change to white as they get bigger".

I'm so glad I'm now going online to a good fish store or breeders but now I just wanna know what the original 3 fish bought were  :41 :41 :41 :41
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:07:40 AM by Socolofifirst »

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
Re: Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »
Yes, pictures would help. 
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Will do when I'm home, had to charge the camera battery earlier hah.

The 3 marked socolofi have like lean longer bodies where as the original "supposed" socolofi have shorter bodies with slightly deeper chests imo.

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
Ok so,

1st is a supposed Socolofi (my thinking is actually a cobalt blue zebra due to shorter but deeper body and mouth shape)

2nd is a Socolofi

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
I am inclined to agree with you. Very different shaped fish. I've never kept socolofi, but bandicoot and free swimmer have so should be able to confirm things for you.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:12:50 PM »
It does have the fins and tail of a Socolofi, but have never had or seen one so iridescent.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:46:13 AM »
saulosi are the only mbuna ive kept aside from a lone yellow lab from my old tank. so ill be of little help on this one. kingston and free would be much more versed in this area.

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:55:58 AM »
saulosi are the only mbuna ive kept aside from a lone yellow lab from my old tank. so ill be of little help on this one. kingston and free would be much more versed in this area.
Oops! [emoji849] Getting my saulosi and socofoli mixed up. Stupid Mbuna [emoji12]
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:22:07 AM »
It does have the fins and tail of a Socolofi, but have never had or seen one so iridescent.

Agreed, for me it's the mouths are different and the "chest" depth with the body length.

Only thing is are they cobalt zebs or are they going to end up being a hybrid hah..... Oh dear...

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »
Oops! [emoji849] Getting my saulosi and socofoli mixed up. Stupid Mbuna [emoji12]
jeez oh whiz. if its not peacocks and haps, may as well be gold fish feeders from pet smart according to alex.  :p

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »
Do we have anyone here that currently keeps or has previously kept cobalt blue cihlids? Their opinion would be a good guage.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »
Do we have anyone here that currently keeps or has previously kept cobalt blue cihlids? Their opinion would be a good guage.
  I have kept several Cobalt Blues over past years and the fins are going to be similar as they are similar sized and shaped to Socolofi.. The Socolofi IME seem to be a more shimmery and lighter blue with a black line of color on edges of all the fins. The cobalt is usually a light blue also but constant color throughout, including fins. The C Blues seem to have a blunter snout.
  Cant be sure of first pic ( Cobalt Blue ? ) but second pic looks Socolofi
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:50:51 AM by free swimmer »
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
Free swimmer, i start my 4 rest days from work tomorrow so i shall attempt another photo session hah.

They look more constant in colour with the tank lights off but lights on they are a super pale blue/purple its very strange

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:09 PM »
Free swimmer, i start my 4 rest days from work tomorrow so i shall attempt another photo session hah.

They look more constant in colour with the tank lights off but lights on they are a super pale blue/purple its very strange
  Look forward to seeing

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
hey free swimmer, had lots to do including w/c and glass cleaning of diatoms (although no where near as bad as last time) to make the tank presentable and generally pleasing to the camera hah.

So I got a nice photo all fins and true to the colour of the fish as I see them to the eye instead of as I see them with no tank lights on.

So I saw a variation of a cobalt blue zebra, but it was the pearl variant? still semi unsure tho I hope this pic helps cus id love to know!

Cheers mate.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
Because I didn't breed it or know the exact info about fish in question I couldn't be positive, but sure looks like a Cobalt to me ..

Offline Socolofifirst

• Juvie
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
That will do for me mate from lfs, that I have now had 2 misinformation from so I now know who to avoid. However they are very good for their choice in stock but no longer their live stock.

Sticking to breeders and a very good and helpful fish shop that I have to order online from and am super happy with (they even sex their fish for me and are a family run business).

At least regardless of what they are they get on with the rest of the stock in the tank as it is. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:41:17 PM by Socolofifirst »