African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Make my tank more interesting  (Read 417 times)

Offline ScottBrass

• Egg
Make my tank more interesting
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:02:37 AM »
Hi there, Im new to the fish world so please forgive any ignorance because Im still learning. I currently have a 20 gallon tank with only 1 red zebra who is maybe midway through his growth cycle. He had another tankmember (another red zebra) who he liked to chase. So basically he's not as aggressive as I've heard most cichlids are but he's not very nice either.

What I need help with is I'd like to make my tank more interesting with more tankmates if possible. I'd like to get other than a red zebra but thats pretty much my only prefference, just something live and different (fish, crabs, crawfish, etc.). Im not able to get a larger tank so a 20 is all I've got. I've done research and haven't really found anything yet so Im hoping somebody can help. Thanks!

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
Re: Make my tank more interesting
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
Unfortunately 20 g is to small for nearly all cichlids except shell dwellers.
You really need a min of 40g IMO  for mbuna and even then it is limited .

I'd sell the red zebra and get maybe a pair if julidchromus dickfieldi or some multies they are really cool fish that would do ok in that tank 

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
As what Mike said, a 20gal is too small even for the one Zebra.  Considering that this is an "African Cichlid" Hub, the only fishes I would recommend for a 20gal are Tang. Shellies. 
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »
agree with the above. its a miracle the dominant of the two hasnt killed the other one.