African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Could/should I add some white?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
Could/should I add some white?
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »
Still pondering if I could add a pale species to my 6ft tank. Currently holding acei, yellow labs, rusties, cyno and labeo. As the algae on the rocks are getting pretty dark I was thinking of adding a light colour and I really like the perlmutts in the other tank. Discounting 2 the pale labidochromis species I was looking at albino pindani - snow white socolofi. Whould it be too overstocked? Would they be too bossy (but the current fish would have 6 months headstart)?
This is how the tank looks like as of today

https://youtu.be/L68lihNMCkQ
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
Re: Could/should I add some white?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
I think one more species would be ok. Add some pearlys. Not sure of the scientific name as I don't no mbuna that well but they are dope! Tank looks great by the way 👌🏽
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
Looks like Malawi Paul Minute..lol  I really do favor the perlmutts  :nod:
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
I prefer the perlmutts too, just a little concerned about x breeding with yellow labs, also could the barred females be an issue with the Cyno jalo reef? So I was looking at snow white socolofi as a viable, if not quite as attractive, alternative pearly white species. Will be probably be putting an order through towards the end of the month to get the fish overnighted before the winter puts a stop to shipments so I need to make my mind up by then.
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:05:29 PM »
I prefer the perlmutts too, just a little concerned about x breeding with yellow labs, also could the barred females be an issue with the Cyno jalo reef? So I was looking at snow white socolofi as a viable, if not quite as attractive, alternative pearly white species. Will be probably be putting an order through towards the end of the month to get the fish overnighted before the winter puts a stop to shipments so I need to make my mind up by then.
Fortunately haven't had mine x breed but think my old male perlmut mighta tagged a female Afra 2 years ago cuz I have some silvery Afras with sparkly gillplates..

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
IMO, the Permutts would be a great addition.  They are very peaceful in my tank. 
IMO, the males look similar to  Metriaclima Greshakei without the red.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Richard M

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 150
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »
If it's white you're after, these guys do a good job:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_chisumulae.php

I have 2 in my mixed mbuna/hap tank and really, they're the best behaved fish in the whole damned set-up.

Pindani, I wouldn't touch with a 14 foot barge-pole, they're nasty pr1cks of things - I got rid of mine after a month, they were giving everyone (and me) a nervous break down.
Richard M

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
got some nice algae growth going. purple towards the back high up on the rock work. more green towards the front. interesting.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »
If it's white you're after, these guys do a good job:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_chisumulae.php

I have 2 in my mixed mbuna/hap tank and really, they're the best behaved fish in the whole damned set-up.

Pindani, I wouldn't touch with a 14 foot barge-pole, they're nasty pr1cks of things - I got rid of mine after a month, they were giving everyone (and me) a nervous break down.
Rostratus are one of my absolute favorites.

Offline Richard M

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 150
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 02:42:20 AM »
Yeah, I've got 3 x juveniles; hoping at least one will colour up as a male  but if I end up with 2 males, I'll just move one of them on - that said, I also really like juvenile/female colour scheme too.

I do like a nice bronzey/silverey loooking fish - when I lived in the UK, I used to keep European (or rather British) freshwater fish such as Mirror , Carp, Tench, Rudd, common minnows and Perch (Perca fluvialis); they aren't flashily coloured but under the right sort of light, they're very attractive.
Richard M

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »
I had asked about the chisumulae as it looks fab but Kingston said it may cross-breed with labs and may be issues with the Cyno jalo as both barred. That is why I asked about the white pindani but you are not the first to say they can be obnoxious bullies. May (reluctantly 'cos I really like the chisimulae) go for perlmutts again as more mild tempered and plenty of folks keep them together with labs with no cross breeding.

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 05:14:23 PM »
Years ago I had Neolamprologus Brichardi in my mbuna tank and they got along fine. I think they are very good looking fish.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
Looks like Malawi Paul Minute..lol  I really do favor the perlmutts  :nod:
Decided i'm now going for daft themed soundracks, got some real corkers lined up...
https://youtu.be/Zjr-6QBaKTk
https://youtu.be/GJCSZ6llD08
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:43:51 PM by Paul Sabucchi »

Offline King Kyoga

• Tank Mate
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
I had asked about the chisumulae as it looks fab but Kingston said it may cross-breed with labs and may be issues with the Cyno jalo as both barred. That is why I asked about the white pindani but you are not the first to say they can be obnoxious bullies. May (reluctantly 'cos I really like the chisimulae) go for perlmutts again as more mild tempered and plenty of folks keep them together with labs with no cross breeding.
I mean you don't really come off as someone who is into breeding fish...correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case why even worry about them cross-breeding, just let her spit in the tank....
....Plus there's always the chance for cross-breeding in a mixed tank, so if you like that fish go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
Quite right, all things considered I will probably go for permutts for the 1st tank ad well