African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Would like advice in stocking a 75 gallon  (Read 764 times)

Offline 780Cichlids

• Egg
Would like advice in stocking a 75 gallon
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:25:39 AM »
Hello, I am new to the aquarium game. I just finished cycling my tank and getting the parameters right it's now sitting and waiting for my fish.

Just for information I have a 75g tank, Fluval FX6 filter, Cobalt Neotherm 150W heater, Cobalt MJ900 water pump, National Geographic air pump.

I would like to stock a colorful tank where the fish all live in somewhat harmony. I would like to have some red, blue, yellow, orange colors but I can't even begin to figure out a good combination. Could anybody please tell me a good combination for my tank. As well as the M:F ratio. Thank you very much in advance!

Offline bigtone0777

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
Re: Would like advice in stocking a 75 gallon
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
Hi and welcome to the hub. Please drop by the new members introduction section and say hi and let us know a little about yourself and your fishkeeping experience 👍

If your thinking of keeping Mbuna have a look at Pseudotropheus Acei, Pseudotropheus Socolofi, Metriaclima Callinos, Rusty's  and some of the Cynotilapia species are quite peaceful..........but with any Mbuna you can get a savage lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow :-)

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Hello, I am new to the aquarium game. I just finished cycling my tank and getting the parameters right it's now sitting and waiting for my fish.

Just for information I have a 75g tank, Fluval FX6 filter, Cobalt Neotherm 150W heater, Cobalt MJ900 water pump, National Geographic air pump.

I would like to stock a colorful tank where the fish all live in somewhat harmony. I would like to have some red, blue, yellow, orange colors but I can't even begin to figure out a good combination. Could anybody please tell me a good combination for my tank. As well as the M:F ratio. Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome.
I keep only Mbunas and have very limited experience outside of that. 

Red--There are not many "True Red" fishes.  If you are not into breeding for keeps or trade , the Red Zebra (Met. Estherae) is a good start.
Blue--Lots of choices.  The Mainganos maybe a good idea, a little mean, but with the right combo would be OK.
Yellow--I always lean towards the Electric Yellow Lab, but the are other yellow females too, but in general they are a little darker yellow.
Orange---The Red Zebra is more Orange then red

Most of these are better at 1 male and 5+ females.
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:14:17 AM »
Some Mbuna can get a lttle large for my liking (6-8inches), but in the 4inchish range there are many beauties to choose from.. Saulosi, Chailosi, Chewere, Yellow Labs, Perlmutts, Lupinga Purple, Polit, and they work in a 75 gallon tank.. 1m/4f.. Just my thoughts.. If they are a little crowded with maybe 25 fish total the territorial combat is spread more.. Lots of rockwork recommended  :nod:.. Maybe 1 more canister filter for back-up and to overfilter is always good.. weekly water changes of about 40% with prime or amquel..
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
harmonious may be a bit of a reach. lol. i shoot for keeping them tolerable of one another. all good advice above.