African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: 5 month old fish in main tank  (Read 804 times)

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
5 month old fish in main tank
« on: June 24, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Initially I thought I bought all male peacocks, but ended up with 2 females. Both carried of course, and I have kept about 15-20 fry in a 10G for 5 months....One female was a firefish, and I'm not sure what the other was, so there was cross breeding.  I'm thinking about dumping them all in my main tank in a few weeks, and whatever happens, happens. Most are big enough not to become dinner.   I've had 1 in there for a month as a test. It and it comes out at feeding time, and the young adults tend to leave it alone while they eat. I know many frown on cross bred fish, but I have no intention on selling, or giving any to my LFS. It's just another fascination for me, watching how they develop.

Online Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
Re: 5 month old fish in main tank
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:10 PM »
what ever floats your boat john. if you like the look of them, and you think theyll add a new dynamic to the tank. toss em in. may upset the balance you have. especially as the females start to mature. id personally keep them separate, but to each their own.  :nod:

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
I have a P taeniolatus/spilonotus cross that I found in my filter a while ago that I am going to grow on to see how it turns out (hopefully it's male). No intention of selling it and if it's female it will be euthanized [emoji17] It was an unintentional breeding but I am curious as to how it will look.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:03:46 AM »
There are many such "Accidental Cross breeds" out there among us hobbyist.  African Cichlids have a long life-span, some maybe as long as 10years.  So good luck with it.   
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 02:08:18 AM »
I added them to the main tank 4 days ago. They adults pretty much leave them alone. They school right now, which is pretty cool to watch.  I'll monitor them as they mature, and see how many females I end up with. This will be interesting.