African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Mixed Africans?  (Read 820 times)

Offline pwil3150

• Egg
Mixed Africans?
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Hi all, relatively new to this forum, just wondering why people do not usually mix cichlids? I've had tangs, mbuna,  haps and peacocks mixed in one tank for over two years and they all seem great, obviously I've had a few beaten up along the way but surely that's the norm

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
Re: Mixed Africans?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
Its not that it never or can't work, it's easier to manage the fish if they are kept in their respective groups. Compatibility in regards to temperament, diet, habitat, etc etc all help the fish to do better long term. They are more likely to show colour better, behave more naturally and even live longer. As they say, "it's the little things that make the difference".
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
I had good luck keeping Brichardi's and Julidochromis with mbuna years ago. When I got back in the hobby 2 years ago I tried a couple peacocks with mbuna and it did not work, so I have a nice variety of mbuna.

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 02:07:24 PM »
differences in diet and aggression levels are prob the two biggest reasons. opinions vary on this matter but imo you dont get optimal results with mixed tanks. especially when mixing peacocks with mbuna. thriving is far different than surviving. im of the mind set that just because you can doesnt necessarily mean you should.

Offline King Kyoga

• Tank Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
Yeah I agree! It's probably a 6% success rate with this kind of mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »
Its not that it never or can't work, it's easier to manage the fish if they are kept in their respective groups. Compatibility in regards to temperament, diet, habitat, etc etc all help the fish to do better long term. They are more likely to show colour better, behave more naturally and even live longer. As they say, "it's the little things that make the difference".
Hit the nail on the head

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 12:26:39 AM »
Hi all, relatively new to this forum, just wondering why people do not usually mix cichlids? I've had tangs, mbuna,  haps and peacocks mixed in one tank for over two years and they all seem great, obviously I've had a few beaten up along the way but surely that's the norm

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

First off, Welcome to ACH. Please stop over to the New Members section and tell us a little about you and your tank/tanks.
Second, I agree with Alex (Fishboy) on stocking issues. Although they all live in the lake together, they have an "endless" amount of space to co-exist. Our tanks just aren't big enough to create separate "areas" for them to call their own.
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!