African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Hi guys new to african cichlids could i please get some advice thanks  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Seditro

• Egg
Re: Hi guys new to african cichlids could i please get some advice thanks
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »
Hi guys thanks for all the replies a goldfish tank now that sounds fun! 😜 Just kidding
Still not really made my mind up on which type to keep they are all really nice fish I guess that's why most of you guys have houses that look like pet stores 😊 Mines not far off

So back to filters i saw a cheap all pond solutions 2000 ef canisters filter online for less than 70 are these any good?

On another note away from the 6ft tank

I have this juwel lido 120 tank in storage is this tank suitable for any type of mbuna or any Africans in general it has only the standard filter in it

Just a thought i also have a

Juwel vision 180 and a juwel rio 125 but both being used at the moment would any of these be any good both standard filters also

Thanks again

Offline Seditro

• Egg
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
Does lighting matter with African cichlids? That juwel lido only has marine blue lights in it for some reason lol
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:41:06 PM by Seditro »

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »
Not sure about the aps filter as I haven't used them, but I think they are ok. You want to be aiming for 7+ times turnover of the water in your tank each hour. Dint forget that you will lose approx 25% filter flow once media is added.
The other tanks are a bit small for most Africans long term. They could be used as breeder/fry/grow out tanks. You could keep a small dwarf species group in the 180.
Lighting is personal preference. White and blue is a good colour combo.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 12:17:03 AM »
I too am a Mbuna person.  IMO, male and female groups are easier.   Many have kept an all male Peacock and Hap tank with success (I am not one of them, and Bandicoot is another).   I like having breeding groups, I may not want to save every batch of fry, but it makes the males better. 
I agree with that you can have a very big Mbuna tank, just do not get males that look alike.  You have many options.
all male peacock/hap tanks can be rewarding for sure. amazing color, and diversity. but wildly unpredictable and expensive. i really enjoyed them at times but dont regret switching to mbuna. my saulosi arent nearly as stressful to keep. others may think the opposite. a lot of trial and error involved with both to be honest.

Well, if I ever switch over to mbuma, I'll need to change my name.... 

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 01:12:02 AM »
I too am a Mbuna person.  IMO, male and female groups are easier.   Many have kept an all male Peacock and Hap tank with success (I am not one of them, and Bandicoot is another).   I like having breeding groups, I may not want to save every batch of fry, but it makes the males better. 
I agree with that you can have a very big Mbuna tank, just do not get males that look alike.  You have many options.
all male peacock/hap tanks can be rewarding for sure. amazing color, and diversity. but wildly unpredictable and expensive. i really enjoyed them at times but dont regret switching to mbuna. my saulosi arent nearly as stressful to keep. others may think the opposite. a lot of trial and error involved with both to be honest.

you never know. if you asked me a yr ago if id ever switch to mbuna, i wouldve said no.

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:46 AM »

JohnsMbuna   Has a nice ring to it  :thumbup
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 01:25:53 AM »
"JohnsMbuna   Has a nice ring to it   :thumbup

And star out as an egg again....never....  :no:

Offline Perbunan

• Fry
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »
Does lighting matter with African cichlids? That juwel lido only has marine blue lights in it for some reason lol

I've always had Juwel tanks and swapped out the internal filters for a canister, way better and gives more room inside tank, on previous tanks I've had 1 marine blue and 1 white which gives a nice effect, however on my new tank both ballasts were shot so I replaced them with LED lights, which I love and much cheaper to run ( see thread in lighting).
By the way if you have spare tanks it's not to late to consider Tangs!!  ;)