African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Hi guys new to african cichlids could i please get some advice thanks  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Seditro

• Egg
Hello guys!

I am just getting into african cichlids and i have been doing alot of reading many many youtube videos and now i feel a little confused on it all so i was wondering if you could help me clear a few things up

My set up is Nd Aquatics 6x2x2ft tank with 1 Fx6 filter do i need wave makers as well?

Now to my confusion The fish i do not know what type to keep

now i like the peacocks very pretty fish but i also like the mbuna but i cant keep them together can i?

also if i was going to go just for a mbuna only tank can i keep all different types together for example
was looking through Tony's Africans just to get a idea of different fish and after googling i come up with nothing
so i want to know can i keep the followin fish in my tank with little to no problems also how many would you recommend in a tank that size?

CYNOTILAPIA AFRA COBUE
PSEUDOTROPHEUS ELONGATUS CHEWERE
LABIDOCHROMIS SUPER RED TOP HONGI
METRIACLIMA ZEBRA LONG PELVIC "GALLIREYA REEF"
LABIDOCHROMIS CAERULEUS YELLOW LABS
PSEUDOTROPHEUS DEMASONI
PSEUDOTROPHEUS ELONGATUS MPHANGA
CYNOTILAPIA AFRA "JALO REEF"

these are the mbuna i like the look of do they all mix well together? a little confused on the stocking really as i read you need to have a lot to level out aggression I'm thinkin 4 of each 2 male 2 female? ( as tony states what he trys to send you )

any other advice or would be greatly appreciated

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
You don't usually mix peacocks with mbuna as they have different diets , the mbuna you've chosen are cool but you may get problems as some look very similar to other like the demasoni and mphanga which will spark aggression towards each other.
I would choose 1 male to 2 female of the species you choose

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
As long as the fish don't look to similar they should be ok. Each setup will be different and will work differently. A ratio of one male to 2+ females is usually best. Be prepared to move fish on and adjust stocking levels until a balance is reached.
P.S. a tank that size is wasted on Mbuna........just saying[emoji6][emoji2]
As far as wave makers go, I would go for a second filter first. I have a FX5 and a cheaper 3,000 lph filter on my 6 foot tank. I had a wave maker as well, but the mount broke so need to replace it. Depending on your stocking levels, 2 filters would be the first priority (I'm not overly stocked in my tank) as these can be very messy fish and quite a bit of waste will need to be processed.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
to answer your questions, yes i would run two circulation pumps in a tank that size. i personally dont like mixing the two for a variety of reasons, but others have different opinions on the matter. i do agree with alex(fish boy) imo 1 fx6 isnt adequate for a tank that size even modestly stocked with africans. i like to go very heavy with filtration and water circulation. as far as stocking its a crap shoot. lol. you can do all the research you want, youre not going to know what will work well until you try it. research just gives you a basic guideline to narrow your choices down. try to keep them as diverse as possible with proper m-f ratios. 1m-3-4f is optimal in most cases. 

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
CYNOTILAPIA AFRA COBUE--A very peaceful fish, maybe too peaceful.   
PSEUDOTROPHEUS ELONGATUS CHEWERE---Should be OK.
LABIDOCHROMIS SUPER RED TOP HONGI---May have problems with CYNOTILAPIA AFRA, PSEUDOTROPHEUS DEMASONI and METRIACLIMA ZEBRA LONG PELVIC
METRIACLIMA ZEBRA LONG PELVIC "GALLIREYA REEF"--May cross breed with YELLOW LABS and is very mean. 
LABIDOCHROMIS CAERULEUS YELLOW LABS---Always good, but may cross breed with METRIACLIMA ZEBRA
PSEUDOTROPHEUS DEMASONI---See above, do not put more then one species of "Blue Strip" fish in tank.
PSEUDOTROPHEUS ELONGATUS MPHANGA---Another "Blue Strip Fish".
CYNOTILAPIA AFRA "JALO REEF"---Another "Blue Strip Fish". 

these are the mbuna i like the look of do they all mix well together? a little confused on the stocking really as i read you need to have a lot to level out aggression I'm thinkin 4 of each 2 male 2 female? ( as tony states what he trys to send you )

The male to female ratio should be 1M to 3-4F.  Also "NEVER" get 2 males together, the stronger will kill the weaker, leaving you with one.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:37:20 AM by Kingston1 »
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Seditro

• Egg
Oh this could get expensive lol thanks for the heads up guys

So this is 2 big of a tank for mbuna you think? peacock and haps is better suited?

To be honest I liked the look of the demasoni but after reading it sounds like a nightmare fish still a lovely little fish though

So if i was to change to a peacock tank should it be all male i read that its hard to sex female aluonocara as all very drab looking?

What would you guys suggest for me

I have no pictures of the tank but it's just a
6x2x2 tank in a wall with a bit of ocean rock scattered about and some parts built up
You can see the tank from both sides my fx6 is hidden in a cupboard to the side of it
Tight fit to be fair don't think I could fit another filter in is why I asked about wave makers to circulate ot Abit more

Any other suggestions?

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
Welcome to the Hub, seems you have caught the same Malawi bug I got. No sooner had I decided the poulation for my 1st tank (ok it took a few weeks to get there) that I started setting up another (currently cycling). If only Tony shipped to Italy I would have loved some of his Metriaclima "Dolphin" Manda they look like the Demasoni you like just bigger (a.k.a. giant Demeasoni) but apparently a lot milder tempered, they are also as rare as rocking horse droppings so you may need to do some badgering. Obviously that fills the blue barred slot, but you still have the blue striped, plain bue, yellow, orange, M/cat and OB ones to play with... Suppose you have time to think about the population while you finalize the filters and get them cycled.
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
P.S. the FX 6 is a monster filter that will do the bulk of the mechanical filtering thanks to the massive flowrate and sponge so maybe you can look at filters with a smaller square footprint like eheim jbl all ponds jebao where 2\3 to 3\4 of the volume is for biological media to help shift the ammonia. Ciao
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos

Offline Seditro

• Egg
Yes lol I have caught the bug but as these fish are kind of expensive I don't want to rush anything 😊 It is a shame he don't ship to italy 😔 Hmm maybe i can modify the other side if the wall to fit in another filter (perks of having a brother who is a joiner 😜) I dont think another fx6 would be on the cards mind the girlfriends face when i told her how much the 1st one cost was a little unnerving lol

Had a chat with the girlfriend she likes the idea of all male peacock tank

Now for another question sorry guys lol

Peacocks can i mix all together or do certain ones not go well like mbunas
I like the idea of all males very colourful do they show them colour all the time then even when no females are present?

Any idea on how many in 6x2x2 tank assuming you need to over stock males only aswell?

Lots to learn sorry guys and thanks for taking the time to teach me 😊

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
For the 2nd filter definitely worth checking the other side of the wall, with the two fishtanks in our bedroom I drilled the walls and stuck one canister in the kitchen and one in the bathroom (to avoid noise). Sorry not able to advise about haps and peacocks as have been trying to get the hang of the mbuna mallarkey... Sure the more knowledgeable folks wil help. Ciao

Offline King Kyoga

• Tank Mate
Re: Hi guys new to african cichlids could i please get some advice thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »
Rule #1....Don't ask your girlfriend/Wife what she likes when it comes to stocking your tank...

Let her stick to home decor & shit like that #thankmelater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
There is no tank too big for mbuna!  :nod: Just add more mbuna, and you can usually buy 4 or 5 mbuna for the cost of 1 male peacock

Offline Yanks15

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 60
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »
Don't pay any attention to Fishkid!! Every tank is perfect for Mbuna :rockon:
Steve's the name but Yanks will do!

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 10:34:39 PM »
Nobody pays attention to me [emoji17][emoji23] You will soon see that there are two main points of view on this forum, Mbuna and haps/peacocks (there are also a few Vic and tang keepers too) and we like to give each other a little now and then (all in good fun though [emoji6]).
Go with whichever group you like. Peacocks are better as all male because the the females pretty much all look the same and the chances of cross breeding are high. Fine if you don't plan on keeping the fry as having females will make the males a little more colourful, but also there can be a little more aggression.
Mbuna are a lot easier to keep in M/F groups as a lot of the females look different (there are exceptions) so there is less chance of cross breeding.
Whichever way you go you still need to choose males that don't look too similar as they will see each other as rivals.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »
Rule #1....Don't ask your girlfriend/Wife what she likes when it comes to stocking your tank...

agreed. unless she is planning on helping with maintenance or purchasing equipment etc she shouldnt have too much input. my wife has none what so ever lol.

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »

Spoken like the King of his Castle........

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »
Welcome and you'll soon see that Mbuna are the #1 Cichlid  :nod:  Im really not partial ?  I also have a 6x2x2 tank that's all Mbuna. I run an FX6  along with a large wet/dry sunp filter. Overfiltering with 2 filters is just a good thing and also gives you 1 still running if 1 fails.. So much Mbuna talking to share. 
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Mike718

• Global Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 120
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 11:36:55 PM »
All male peacock/hap tank is the way to go ;) as Alex mentioned above female peacocks are very similar looking so cross breeding will be inevitable and the females are drab also. An all male tank worked for me for a very long time. They were all healthy and colored up at all times. That doesn't mean that will happen for you but trial and error and you can achieve the same. Time and patience in this hobby will go along way. I would put around 30-35 fish in your tank (full grown). I would add to your filtration as well. Since you don't have much room for another canister I would consider a big internal filter and a wavemaker which will help with the biological/mechanical and flow in the tank. Internals filters are unsightly but if you can hide it some how with your rocks it will be beneficial
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:48:38 PM by Mike718 »
Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline King Kyoga

• Tank Mate
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 11:38:01 PM »

agreed. unless she is planning on helping with maintenance or purchasing equipment etc she shouldnt have too much input. my wife has none what so ever lol.

Leave it to your woman, she'd have you throwing in fat, colorful goldfish with long fins in there with Mbuna

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 04:03:33 AM »
I too am a Mbuna person.  IMO, male and female groups are easier.   Many have kept an all male Peacock and Hap tank with success (I am not one of them, and Bandicoot is another).   I like having breeding groups, I may not want to save every batch of fry, but it makes the males better. 
I agree with that you can have a very big Mbuna tank, just do not get males that look alike.  You have many options. 

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
Hi guys new to african cichlids could i please get some advice thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
Bugger them all and go get a bunch Victorians ;)

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:12 AM »
Bugger them all and go get a bunch Victorians ;)

Are you the King in disguise?

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »
Hahahaha

Offline Flippin Fins Aquatics

• Tank Mate
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
Welcome to ach. Good advice above except Alex. Don't listen to him. He lives with snakes, spiders and drop bears and knows nothing. 6ft tank for Mbuna simply means more room and less aggression as they are territorial. Give them more room and you have less aggression. I have an ND aquatics (excellent choice by the way) 5x2x2. I have more than one barred species, I have more than one male of those species and very little aggression. It's hard to say exactly as all fish are different but it is very much trial and error. Good luck and stick some photos up. Also I would increase your filtration. I run 3 and one of them is an fx6.

Simon.

My Phone

The environment for the fish looking out of the glass is far more important than the pleasure of the monkeys looking in.

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I too am a Mbuna person.  IMO, male and female groups are easier.   Many have kept an all male Peacock and Hap tank with success (I am not one of them, and Bandicoot is another).   I like having breeding groups, I may not want to save every batch of fry, but it makes the males better. 
I agree with that you can have a very big Mbuna tank, just do not get males that look alike.  You have many options.
all male peacock/hap tanks can be rewarding for sure. amazing color, and diversity. but wildly unpredictable and expensive. i really enjoyed them at times but dont regret switching to mbuna. my saulosi arent nearly as stressful to keep. others may think the opposite. a lot of trial and error involved with both to be honest.