African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Mixed mbuna haps and peacocks 5ft  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
Re: 5 ft mbuna tank
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »
there are kits you can buy that come with everything you need. glass holes is one that comes to mind. just be sure its not tempered. there are also tons of videos of people drilling tanks on youtube.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:51:46 AM by Bandicoot »

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2018, 12:42:36 AM »
Its absolute that a drilled set up always works. No water can overflow either tank, as long as return outlets are at high enough level in maintank.. I am extremely comfortable with the Eshopps overflows because of many years using them. No pumps or problems. The u-tube is designed to always keep siphon by both ends always staying just under water level. It has chambers in inner box and outer box that make sure of it. Again though, return outlets must be near enough surface when things shut down.
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2018, 03:01:43 AM »
agreed. drilled tanks can be made flood proof. the only concern i have with a flood is one of the seams giving out in the display. canisters are more dangerous in my eyes. i know youve had success with the eshopps, but it does have some potential to fail either mechanically or by user error. you can always depend on the properly set up drilled tanks, they will always do what theyre supposed to.

Offline midiadventure

• Fry
  • Tank Gallons: 80
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
So, total revamp is done. New stand, bean animal overflow with 40mm. 150l sump. 6500lph pump on 100%. Total volume of 450l. Wow. That was a total pain but got it dialled in now and it is rather quiet.

I did all this because I was neglecting the tank so wanted anew water change system. I drilled my wall and have 21.5mm lines in and out so I should be able to change 80l every day with ease 😁

Thanks for all the input on this thread. Oh I am very impressed with the dcw 6500. If anyone would do this bean animal 40mm get a bigger pump though. I am throttling the system completely but finding fitting for all this was a pain. Imperial and metric can be so annoying.
Shake that booty

Offline midiadventure

• Fry
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »
Pics

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Shake that booty

Offline midiadventure

• Fry
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
The sump has alpha grog all the ceramic media from my old external and a 6 inch sand bed refugium with led light. 2 heaters.

As for the fish they are doing well. Most aggressive is the jacobfreibergi but it is a lot calmer than my mbuna only setup. Saulosi have only interspecies aggression. 1m 6m. 5 peacock m. 8 haps

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:29:41 PM by midiadventure »
Shake that booty

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Re: Mixed mbuna haps and peacocks 5ft
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »
Looking good mate. I would be scared to death drilling lol
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline midiadventure

• Fry
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
It is pretty easy tbh. The hard part is that it is an existing tank so moving all the fish (they went in the refugium) is more stressful. If you have an empty tank it's fine. I'll post in a few months what I think vs the cannisters I had before. Of course this is better its cycling the tank 20times pH but maintainece wise noise and floods!

Shake that booty

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
Agree about moving fish.. Have to have new home almost complete and an entire day goes into moving the fish, and remaining equipment.. Have to transfer all existing seeded media to prevent new cycle.. In my case, much permission had to be granted in order to occupy an entire room for new set up..  But she got 2 other rooms, and a porch in trade,,  :nod:
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline midiadventure

• Fry
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
wish I had 2 spare rooms to placate her lol. She has only just gotten over the mess of the project but after a few weeks of silence in the aquarium I think she is coming around.

I had to fix the 3way switch so used an old pedal that I was never going to fix

Shake that booty

Offline midiadventure

• Fry
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »
So sumps are awesome if you have the space. Survived power cuts no roblem. I got 2 filter socks going now instead of layered foam and it has better flow now so more even distribution of water in the different sections.

Shake that booty