African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Tank number 2  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
Tank number 2
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:35:35 PM »
As mentioned while waiting to go to rome to pick up the fish for the 1st 100 gal 6 ft tank I could not resist snapping up a bargain for another 100 gal, this one 4 and 2/3 ft (will go some way to lessen the disappointment for the roman shop not having any acei I had asked for, will have to order online from elsewhere). Had asked the forum what I should put in the 2nd tank, as no suggestions forthcoming I have come up with this combo:
Labidochromis "Pearlmutt"
Pseudotropheus saulosi "coral orange"
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos "maingano"
I know it is a lot of pseudos but I have read this is the only genus from which multiple species can be kept together without a high risk of hybridization as more of an umbrella name for disparate mbuna species that have not yet been found a definitive genus to belong.
Any advice welcome
Ciao
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos
100gal Saulosi, OB Zebras,  Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
Re: Tank number 2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
As mentioned while waiting to go to rome to pick up the fish for the 1st 100 gal 6 ft tank I could not resist snapping up a bargain for another 100 gal, this one 4 and 2/3 ft (will go some way to lessen the disappointment for the roman shop not having any acei I had asked for, will have to order online from elsewhere). Had asked the forum what I should put in the 2nd tank, as no suggestions forthcoming I have come up with this combo:
Labidochromis "Pearlmutt"
Pseudotropheus saulosi "coral orange"
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos "maingano"
I know it is a lot of pseudos but I have read this is the only genus from which multiple species can be kept together without a high risk of hybridization as more of an umbrella name for disparate mbuna species that have not yet been found a definitive genus to belong.
Any advice welcome
Ciao
Love the Perlmut  :nod:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:01:24 PM by free swimmer »
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:43 AM »
Yeap, love mine too. 
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
Cool will start setting it up next week hopefully will be alble to post photos of the fish i am getting from rome. Ciao
100gal yellow Labs, Acei, Rusties, Cynotilapia Jalo Reef, Labeotropheus t. Chilumba, Melanochromis dialeptos

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:31:14 PM »
Just took a 2nd look at your stock.  3 Pseudos?  One "Blue Vertical Strip"--Saulosi, One "All Blue"--Socolofi, One "Horizontal Blue Strip" Mainganos.   

Wonder if all 3 will working in your tank--Short 100gal , 48"? 

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
Not dead set on socolofi, alternatives? socolofi would only have one male and as many orange females as possible so at least visually it would count as an orange species (except if the females turn temporarily blue), could the one male could see the other blue species as competitors and come to blows? If that is the case I think the 3 species are closely matched for aggressiveness and size (socolofi a little bigger?). Again it is just a starting list, plenty of time to tweak it so advice welcome, would like to keep the Perlmutt and Mainganos. In the mean time started scouting for rocks. Ciao

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 01:08:40 AM »
Not dead set on socolofi, alternatives? socolofi would only have one male and as many orange females as possible so at least visually it would count as an orange species

???  Socolofi females look like males.  Both are Blue.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 04:29:59 AM »
Sorry meant saulosi orange females... Old age is taking its toll, must be geting confused :no:

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
So to recap:
Labidochromis Perlmutt - yellow and white faint bands
P. cyaneorhabdos Maingano - blue with dark stripes
P. saulosi red coral: mostly orange blu male faint bands
4th species?

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 12:43:19 PM »
i would just pick the fish you want to keep that are available to you. i would try to keep them as diverse as possible to avoid cross breeding. but even then theres no guarantee its going to work out. theres no definitive guidelines as to what will work and what wont. every set up is different, what works for one person wont for another. research, opinions, and experiences of others are helpful, but in the end you just have to take the plunge and see what happens. i personally like the pure strain saulosi species much better than the coral reds, but thats just me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:11:15 PM by Bandicoot »

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
Thanks, just trying to avoid the most grevious mistakes.
Considering then Perlmutt, Mainganos, saulosi -(regular not coral)  and red zebras (possibly with mcats \ OB in the bunch). Breeding not a priority as will leave all females in the tank, just trying for breeds that will not be 100% sure to clash and that are reasonably matched for size\aggressiveness. Would the red zebras get too big or aggressive?

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »
Thanks, just trying to avoid the most grevious mistakes.
Considering then Perlmutt, Mainganos, saulosi -(regular not coral)  and red zebras (possibly with mcats \ OB in the bunch). Breeding not a priority as will leave all females in the tank, just trying for breeds that will not be 100% sure to clash and that are reasonably matched for size\aggressiveness. Would the red zebras get too big or aggressive?
IMO/experience.. Yes the Red Zebras get much larger and nastier.. Maingano can be feisty but not terrible. Chewere are really beautiful and neat colors as are the Lupingu Purple.  All similar size but different colors..

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »
Thanks Free, great advice confirming my fears, would like to keep this 2nd tank for slightly smaller species. Being a novice I am not attempting to keep extravagant fish, just a reasonably looking tank with colours that complement the other tank and fish that are a reasonable match. Once I have a few years with mbunas I may get\make myself a seriously BIG TANK and push out the boat. Ciao

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »
Went to Rome yesterday (traffic so bad the auto shifter on the Toyota just gave up and left me stranded, had to disconnect the battery to reboot) and the sodding shop only had less than half the fish I had asked for:  5 rusties, 2 afra Jalo I am pretty positive are m+f and 2 trewavasae Chilumba I fear are 2 m. Will try to order more f over the interweb asap and get the labs from the local enthusiast...

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »
Went to Rome yesterday (traffic so bad the auto shifter on the Toyota just gave up and left me stranded, had to disconnect the battery to reboot) and the sodding shop only had less than half the fish I had asked for:  5 rusties, 2 afra Jalo I am pretty positive are m+f and 2 trewavasae Chilumba I fear are 2 m. Will try to order more f over the interweb asap and get the labs from the local enthusiast...
Sad to go through so much crap to keep fish. Hope they turn out what you wanted gender wise..

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
Cheers, one online retailer from Milan seems pretty efficient but not a great variety of stock, emailed another near naples but no answer yet. Just seems to confirm the popular belief that in Italy only the Milanese can get things done while getting themselves out of a paper bag would pose a serious challenge to anybody else's organizational skills (I am allowed to say it as I grew up here...) On a positive note at least the scant fish I got seem in ruddy good health

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »
Spoke too soon, just got an answer to the email I sent yesterday afternoon to the ones near Naples, they are happy to order immediately from their suppliers and hopefully have them available in a few days so I requested:
6x Pseudotropheus acei Lwala juvies
6x Pseudotropheus perspicax red top Ndumbi juvies
3x females Labeotropheus trewavasae Chilumba
3x females Cynotilapia afra  Jalo Reef
Fingers crossed, in the mean time I am still collecting rocks for the second tank and having fun with a new puppy (number 19), a 3 month old grey merle border collie crossed with something a lot bigger. A friend found him in quite a poor state so took him to the vet to have him treated but now had nowhere to keep him so off to Muggins...

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Short video of this 1st lot of juvies in their new home

Offline vinboy

• Retired Moderator
  • Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 100
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
Just to clarify Pseudotropheus Saulosi coral are hybrid fish not true species from lake.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »
Just to clarify Pseudotropheus Saulosi coral are hybrid fish not true species from lake.
Got that, as much as I like them that is putting me off big time, again any suggestions for small orange mbuna alternatives most welcome. In the mean time together with the fish to complete the 1st tank I have ordered 6 juvie P (perspicax) red top Ndumbi as a possible substitute but some say they are little b@$t@rd$ so I will probably keep them in a quarentine tank until I figure things out. I am collecting the same rocks for the 2nd tank as for the 1st and same led light, got the same blue background as the tanks are on the same wall I want them to look similar minus the fish, that I would like to be complementary to the others so basically blue striped (mainganos) blue barred if possible otherwise plain blue (socolofi?) , Perlmutts and the elusive dwarf orange species.

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
Still not found a reasonable alternative to the coral red saulosi mutts (thought about msobo magunga but not dwarf) so will go for kosher saulosi, Perlmutts, Mainganos and the dreaded Ndumbi, by what I read none of them are shrinking violets and should all look reasonably different so not to provoke each other and should conflicts happen hopefully will be able to hold their own against each other

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 12:46:19 AM »
I looked at as many different pics of the Saulosi Coral as I could find and they are different from the dark barred and blue males and yellow females. They obviously happened somehow through crossing either naturally or with human aid, and do look kinda nice.. I personally have grown very fond of the true Saulosi and am trying to help produce as many as possible.

Offline Nimander76

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 01:31:21 AM »
As long as you enjoy your fish then what is the problem?
Yes some people do not like hybrids, but there are just as many who do.
I am limited on what I can stock, so am considering mixing my tank as I do not have many options.
If my fish are healthy and pleasing to the eye, and no harm is being caused to the wild stock or the hobby then I don't see a problem.
Been here or around for years now, and there is too much being put into people keeping 'pure' tanks. Really frustrating!
Tony

Luck? I laugh in the face of luck ha ha ha

Don't Forget....PICKS FOR KICKS!

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 02:51:04 AM »
As long as you enjoy your fish then what is the problem?
Yes some people do not like hybrids, but there are just as many who do.
I am limited on what I can stock, so am considering mixing my tank as I do not have many options.
If my fish are healthy and pleasing to the eye, and no harm is being caused to the wild stock or the hobby then I don't see a problem.
Been here or around for years now, and there is too much being put into people keeping 'pure' tanks. Really frustrating!
  Yes, I'm in agreement with that and did say that I think they look kinda nice.. What happens in a person's own tank stays in their own tank..  Ted Nugent did say it's a free for all !

Offline Paul Sabucchi

• Sub Adult
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
Thanks for the uncommonly healty dose of common sense, will have some saulosi of one kind or the other. As you say as long as you are aware of what you are putting in your tank and even more so about what fish you are giving away. I find the coral would fill a "colour gap" in my tanks (the alternatives being red zebras or msobo magunga being on the large side) if I can overcome the prejudice against man made hybrids. Hopefully if the Chilumba show up orange they will tick that box and I can have saulosi Taiwanee reef and be happy. Seems petty to chose "for the colour" but at  the end of the day 99% of the reason most people keep fish is because they look nice, if I want to look at something pig ugly I can always look at my Thai mini pigs... :bs_lame: ciao from Italia