African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Advice and guidance please! (Mbuna)  (Read 515 times)

Offline Patrick McCormick

• Egg
Advice and guidance please! (Mbuna)
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
I'm currently setting up a 90 gallon 48x18x24. I have a couple hundred pounds of limestone to make a lot of caves and hiding places with. I have a 40 gallon fluidize sump with k1 and and some misc. media running at 800 gph, also two HOB filters with Pothos and lucky bamboo inside them. I would like to stock the tank with dwarf Mbuna. This is what I was thinking 2 Male 15 Female Pseudotropheus Flavus,  2 Male 15 Female Pseudotropheus Demasoni, and 1 Male 4 Female  Iodotropheus Sprengerae (Rusty), and 1 Male 4 Female Labeotropheus Trewavasae. Is this too many fish? Will I regret the aggression and end up wasting a lot of money? I really like the look of all these fish, but also want to create a healthy environment..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
Re: Advice and guidance please! (Mbuna)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »
i personally wouldnt add that many fish in a 90g, but i typically stock on the lower end of the spectrum. i dont like the look of heavily stocked tanks. and the amount of waste that comes with it. the pothos and bamboo wont make much difference in terms of nitrates if that is why youre using them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:30:40 PM by Bandicoot »

Offline gdjewett

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Re: Advice and guidance please! (Mbuna)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
Labeotropheous get pretty big,and can get mean. The rusty's would be hiding all the time