Author Topic: White poop?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
White poop?
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »
My male Acei has white poop.. It just began today.. I read it's a sign that there are internal parasites in the digestive tract? I've also noticed on two Acei and on my Red Fin Borleyi that they all have one or two faint small white spots on their bodies.. Ich perhaps? None of there behavior is abnormal from what I can see, they're all eating, and I did a 50% water change yesterday , water parameters are good. (tank is 55gallons)
55g:
2 Labidochromis caeruleus, 2 Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei", 1 Metriaclima sp. "Msobo", 1 Pseudotropheus Crabro, 1 Metriaclima Greshakei, 1 Dragon Blood, 1 Metriaclima Estherae, 1 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
Re: White poop?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:30 AM »
my advice, hospital tank the one with white poop, treat with seachems paraguard for three days (at least) and only feed small bits of crushed spirulina flake or a veggie flake... if it will eat at all.

as for the white spots .. well you can start treating the tank now for ich if you think that is it.. or you can watch once the other fish is out for a couple days and see if all is ok.

gluck!
If wishes were fishes, I'd need a bigger tank!

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »
Alright I'll put him in a hospital tank and treat. Oh don't worry about that, he eats a lot!!

I was thinking about treating the tank for Ich now, but I'm still not 100% sure it's ich. If I added medication for ich in the tank, and they really don't have it, would it have any negative effects on them?
55g:
2 Labidochromis caeruleus, 2 Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei", 1 Metriaclima sp. "Msobo", 1 Pseudotropheus Crabro, 1 Metriaclima Greshakei, 1 Dragon Blood, 1 Metriaclima Estherae, 1 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:02 AM »
make sure youre not over feeding him and causing bloat either.. white pooh can be a sign of that as well.

as for ich treatment i couldnt tell ya never had to deal with it and i think each product has its own specifications on removing  things some say no bubbler or skimmer others take your charcoal out etc..

dont really know what you have on hand to use either...

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »
Wait, over feeding can cause white pooh as well????? These past 2 or 3 weeks, I've been feeding them a lottttt. About two times more than I usually do. The food I'm feeding is New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. Maybe I need to cut back on the feeding. They don't have bloat though.
55g:

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
k i wanted to look this up as i thought i was correct as i had read it somewhere before and i have one of those weird memories for retaining useless information lol or in this case useful as i know it can be a bloat related issue due to over feeding even if the fish isnt showing signs or 'bloating' yet. hopefully you caught this super quick and that your fish when treated can bounce back...

still remove him and put him in a hospital tank.... heres what i looked up...

The fish is bloated up, has a reduced appetite and also has clear to white feces
Fish Behavioral Disorders Flow Chart
Your fish is affected with Hexamita.  Very common in Discus and African Cichlids.  This is referred to as "Malawi Bloat"
Fish Behavioral Disorders Flow Chart
Make a medicated frozen food with Metronidazole. Use 1/4 tsp. per 4 oz. of food.   Feed to the fish once a day for 10 days. Or try treating the water with Parinox

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I think he's showing early signs of bloat. The only sign he's showing is white poop. I don't think it's ich, and he doesn't show any of the other signs of bloat, like loss of appetite, swimming on the bottom of the floor etc. So for now I'm cutting back on the feeding and doing water changes every 5 days.
55g:

Offline antoblfc

• Juvie
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »
Is the white spot on a female borleyi .Reason i ask is i have a few females with white spot like marks on there body.This however is only scruff marks from injury due to the male harassing them.As for the Acei if its drab female it could be the same.
Juwel Rio 400 JBL e900 External + Fluval 404 Betta T5 Light Unit 1xM White 1x Coral Purple
1x M Blue.
2 Yellow Labs,2 Bumble Bees, 4 Red Fin Borleyi
4 VC-10s, 3 Tropheus Dubousi & 1 Pleco
3x Lamprologus Lellupi 2 XJohannii
3 Frontosa Cichlids    2X Cynotilapia Arfa

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »
It's a juvi male. It's really odd, the spots on the acei and borleyi are gone, I really don't know what that was.. It was faint, but nonetheless it was there, and just disappeared.. Hmmmmm. I'm monitoring them very closely, I don't see white poop anymore and none of them look bloated. Feeding them twice a day in small amounts for the next week just to make sure I'm not over feeding.
55g:

Offline hanzla2001

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
It does sound like bloat but I hope his fine now and just keep watching them for a while maybe it will change
Hanzla Munir

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words... If you cu,d post one or two. So we can see it would probably help a ton!

African Cichlid Hub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
Here is the best picture I could get of my Borleyi. Sorry, my camera isn't so great and neither are my photography skills!

[IMG=http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6862/pa270282.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here's a video of all my fish (watch in 720p for best results). Please excuse my horrific aquascape (that I will be changing soon) and the other things going on in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo0yg7j-mKQ&feature=youtu.be
55g:

Offline epiccichlid20

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:21 AM »
i couldve sworn i read somewhere that white poop could be a sign of malawi bloat.

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 05:41:06 AM »
he may look a tiny bit plump but the rest dont look ill in any way, maybe it was an isolated thing like you said you had been over feeding a bit, just watch your amounts and keep an eye on your fish. also remember their intestines are four times the size of their body so it can take a loooonnnnggggg time for them to process foods.  also make sure they are getting the right type of feeds, not too fatty and watch that the food itself doesnt swell massively after being in water for a bit.

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
Yeah I noticed that too, the Borleyi looks a little more round. I only feed them New Life Spectrum sinking 1mm pellets, and it all gets eaten without any hitting the floor or being in the water for too long. I'm not feeding them at all for the weekend, and I'll cut back on the amount i feed for the next week.
55g:

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:05:40 AM »
not sure how much youre feeding but i wouldnt recommend starving the whole tank for a couple days either. i do know a few guys tend to fast their fish on sundays then feed twice daily small amounts etc.  i cant say im a feeding expert by any means but before i ever got my mbuna and started feeding them i watched bolly/marcs feeding vid and a few others like tank set up etc.. like three times each and still worried about getting it right hehe, trial and error!

if the rest look fine its all good just cut back a pinch and do a sunday meal skipping and see how they are.

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
They're back.. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXiySsjq7E&feature=youtu.be

They appeared after I fed them, and I saw white poop coming from the Acei too........
55g:

Offline epiccichlid20

• Sub Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 08:50:59 PM »
what food do you feed your fish?

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
New Life Spectrum Sinking 1mm Pellets. Going to start feeding them Spirulina Flakes tomorrow.
55g:

Offline epiccichlid20

• Sub Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
well how much is the protien levels on the NLS?

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
Crude Protein (min.) 34.0%
55g:

African Cichlid Hub Forum

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »

Offline epiccichlid20

• Sub Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
hmmmm..... try just feeding them the flakes. no NLS. just try it.

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:03 PM »
I've been feeding them the NLS for the past 6 months, so I don't think it has anything to do with the actual food itself.. But I'll try that.
55g:

Offline Tamrissa

• Section Moderator
  • Sub Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
i feed my guys the same stuff but i alternate day to day between that and the excel sinking pellets and night feeds they only get spirulina flakes or algae waffers with the hikari cichlid staple or excel.

i kinda change up their diets to keep them interested and to alternate between high veggie to high mix.  i am really looking forward to getting some new era though that will be good!

Offline ezar2x4

• Fry
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Yeah I'm going to do that. For now I only have the NLS and spirulina, so I'm going to feed NLS afternoons and spirulina/algae wafers at night. I really want a new era marine grazer though!
55g: