African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Introduce yourself & Hijacking posts  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Kevin Michiels

• Administrator
  • Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 118
Introduce yourself & Hijacking posts
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »
Hi guys

Introduce Yourself

I wanna ask once again to introduce yourself to the whole forum.
Thats the best way of telling people about your setup and fish.
Other people really are interested in your fish story. You shouldn't be shy or anything.

When you make an introduction, people can learn something from you, come up with new ideas, give you tips or hints.
All positive effects.

I know new members are not familiar with the forum sections and stuff, and you don't know where to post etc.
I suggest you do the following :
* Introduce yourself ( here : http://africancichlidhub.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0 )
* Take a look at all sections.
* Check out some intresting topics.
* Start replying and discussing things.

If you still got a 'forum-related-question'
I advice you to Personal Message a member of the staff ( here: http://africancichlidhub.com/forum/index.php?action=staff )

Hijacking Posts
I noticed the last few days new members hijacked others people post.
The best way of getting an answer on your question is to create your own topic.
So stay OnTopic and create your own topic where people will answer your own personal questions.

Keep your fish healthy and enjoy your day !
Cheers
Kevin

Offline gilli

• Egg
Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
Hello ACH,

I am new here and as I have enjoyed te youtube videos by marc boultoin very much I decided to become a member. My experience with malawi cichlids is very small: I started last year and since then I cannot get enough of it, so that, after setting up a 1600l tank I set another (300l) just underneath the first one. As I am only using a HMF for filtration and only replace evaporated water with no water changes I only stocked the tank with aprox. 40 of the smallest mbunas just to keep the bioload of the tank low.
But I think I will have to start checking water parameters as I am having something like a bloat-epidemic: first I lost a Ps. msobo magunga, then a Chindongo Saulosi, now a C. afra cobue seems to be ill as well. Although I tried to treat the first two (as they were not eating I tried to give them metronidazol with a syringe and a desinfectant used for wound care) they died anyway so I am not very optimistic with the C. afra cobue.......
In my opinion it cannot be the nutrition, as I only feed them a malawi specific dried food enriched with spirulina 2 times a day a small amount. And itīs a little strange that a carnivor like the cobue should get the disease....
anyway, my question is how do you give the metronidazole if the fsh are not eating?? with my experience I think when feed refusal sets in, itīs already too late....
as I am a pediatrician and have access to lots of medications I will try to find something (probably iv medications...)......
OK, I am looking forward to learning a lot at ACH. best regards, claus

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Re: Introduce yourself & Hijacking posts
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »
I'm lucky and haven't had to deal with much disease. Imo I would get on those weekly water changes clean water is the best medicine.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:46:51 PM by cscott1 »
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline free swimmer

• Sub Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 1k
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
1600l is a huge aquarium so I understand your thinking with low bio-load / low water changes, however water movement and water changes helps gas exchange and if you don't do waterchanges than water issues can build up until there is a bad issue. Waterchanges and good biological filtratration is a must.. Metro and Epsom salts have been my go to for bloat. Isolate the sick fish and stabilize tank water. Has been years since I have had an issue. Proper diet and waterchanges have been constant.
Making memories to look forward to..

No matter how many times you wash a bird it will still smell fowl..

Offline Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
if its bloat, try dosing the tank with epsom salts. its basically a laxative. that may entice them to eat. then you can soak their food in meds. you can dose the tank with metro, but its not very effective that way. ive heard or read that it totally dissolves in like 8 hrs. so to keep the tank medicated for 7-10 days wouldnt be easy or cheap.you said youre using a hamberg matten filter? you could prob use a bit more flow/water movement, especially in a tank that size. a few wave makers wouldnt hurt.

Offline KKs Aquariums

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:31 AM »
Hey, I'm KK! Just joined the forums have been keeping up with AfricanChiclidHub for a while now. Have kept and bred African cichlids for a long time now. Always had natural setups and successful results. Right now my main African Cichlid Setup is on YouTube will post the link so you guys can tell me what you think!!
Thank you all!

https://youtu.be/ajUylETMXAw

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 03:34:34 AM »
Welcome KK.....good looking fish..what size tank is that ?
John

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
Nice fish KK and welcome to the forum this is kind of an obscure section in the forum might want to start a thread in the showcase your tank section a lot more people would see it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)