African Cichlid Hub Forum

Author Topic: Tank Hierarchy  (Read 700 times)

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
Tank Hierarchy
« on: February 23, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
Ok out of curiosity and mostly because I'm bored I thought it would be interesting to see how different fish rank in other folks tanks. Mine is as follows.

1. (Tank Boss) 4" Male Red Zebra
2. 3" Male greshakei
3. 3.5" Female Kenyi
4. 3.5' Female Maingano
5. 3" Male Maingano
6. 2.75" Male Snow white Socolofi 
7. 2.75" Male Yellow Lab
8. 3.5" mean ass crayfish lol
All the rest don't really have any clout they defend themselves and try to stay out of the way.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:35:19 PM by cscott1 »
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Offline Fishboy

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 180
Re: Tank Hierarchy
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
1. 6' Borleyi
2. 6.5' red empress
3. 5' sun shine Peacock
After that it's a bit hard to pick, but between red Rubin and strawberry Peacock for #4 and #5. The rest are happily staying out of trouble.
Life is all about options, as long as you have something to look forward to, there is no reason to look back...now where can I put the next tank?

Offline Kingston1

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 140
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
Was my Met. Membe Deep, but he now spends his day jostling with the sub male.
My Male Hara has taken over the spot of tank boss.
None of the Red Zebras care (so far) who is boss.   

I would remove the Membe Deep sub male, but IMO, he looks better then the dominate male. 

Biggest fish--Membe Deep and Zebra are both about 4".  Then the Hara at about 3.75", just slightly smaller.   The Perlmutts just are not aggressive enough to get more food, so he is only about 3".  Much smaller then the other fishes.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:42:19 PM by Kingston1 »
75gal   W/T Haras, Met. Membe Deep, and Kawanga Golds
60gal   Ps. Saulosi (1M and 9F) and 1 lonely OB Peacock.

Offline JohnsPeacocks

• Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 75
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Since I removed an OB about a month ago there is no clear cut boss. Constant skirmishes between the Sulfur Head, German Red, and Sunshine.  Prime tank spaces keep changing. I like it this way....

Offline cscott1

• Sub Adult
  • Tank Gallons: 55
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
Things have changed up a bit in the last 6 months. I added a trio of bumblebees moved my yellow labs to their own tank and got rid of a few fish. My boss is still the now 5 inch Red Zebra but my 4 inch greshakei is a close second he's actually the enforcer of the tank keeps everyone to their designated areas and only leaves the the tank boss alone. The next in line is probably my male bumblebee he is the same size as my 5 in tank boss red zebra if not a lil bigger he occupies open water on the left side of my tank I'm keeping an eye on him I imagine it won't be long until he challenges for more territory and rank. My lighting quick male  4 in maingano don't take shit from the female any more he pretty much goes where he likes in the tank as long as he stays out of the way of the greshakei. My 4 in male albino socolofi owns a cave  at the bottom of the tank and it's his and his alone he only let's the females come in when they are ready to breed. My poor male 4 inch kenyi wants to be a bad ass so bad but he doesn't have the size to muscle his way to the top or the speed to land the most punches so he is stuck being the big fish that sulks in the corner just waiting for his opportunity. As far as the females go the red zebra girls are a fat 4 inches they are permitted to swim freely if anyone messes with them the tank boss male quickly comes to their aid. All the other females are stuck to small caves or a behind the filter or wherever they can find a hiding spot. The dynamics and personalities of our lil finned friends really is amazing.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:49:15 AM by cscott1 »
75 gal    1 M 3 F Metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Red Top)
             2 M 5 F Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab) 40 fry in grow out tank
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima esthrae OB
             1 M 3 F Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
40 gal    1 M 4 F Metriaclima emiltos Mphanga (60 fry in grow out tank)
             1 M 1 F Metriaclima elongatus chailosi
40 gal    1 M 3 F Cynotilapia zebroides Hara White Top Gallireya Reef (over 100 fry in grow out tanks)
             1 M 3 F Chindongo saulosi           1 M 3 F Metriaclima callainos (Pearl Zebra)

Online Bandicoot

• Boss
  • Tank Gallons: 90g
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 11:20:36 PM »
my tank is pretty straight forward.
1. my two males seem to be equally matched. (co rulers)
2. my dominant female that has taken on characteristics of the males.
3. who knows, the others just seem to randomly chase and bluff each other.

Offline chopstick_mike

• Sub Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30:34 AM »
Mine is the biggest male frontie however whenever my j.regani spawn they can be quite aggressive but just on pure size I think the alpha wins it